Getting vPro remote KVM working on Minisforum MS-01

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

merlina2

Feb 12, 2024
I attempted to do this without mesh commander, since that is deprecated.

I used the intel manageability commander (Intel® Manageability Commander)

I am able to install this and at localhost, I can reach the management interface.

I can also reach the WebUI interface at localhost:16992

However, if I try to reach these from another machine, I get no response. I can ping the interface, so the route seems open.

ie. 192.168.1.10:16992 gets no response.

similarly, setting up intel managerability (or mesh commander's last version) also results in 'local works, remote doesn't'

What am I missing?

wadup

Feb 13, 2024
Is there something that needs to be done to enable MEBx? All I have is an option to change the password. I have tried Ctrl-P etc but must be missing something.

I have read there is a https port 16993 see if that works.

merlina2

Feb 12, 2024
Is there something that needs to be done to enable MEBx? All I have is an option to change the password. I have tried Ctrl-P etc but must be missing something.

I have read there is a https port 16993 see if that works.
I set up the password in bios. I also had to turn MEB on in bios.

I turned off the IPv6 and turned off remote provisioning server.

wadup

Feb 13, 2024
Did you ever get "Inconsistency error invalid password - try again" when you tried to change the password? That's what it keeps doing to me.

wadup

Feb 13, 2024
So you can't be connected through the LM ethernet port only. LM needs to be dedicated to vPRO and the machine connected with another port. Once you do that you can connect remotely.

merlina2

Feb 12, 2024
So you can't be connected through the LM ethernet port only. LM needs to be dedicated to vPRO and the machine connected with another port. Once you do that you can connect remotely.
Were you able to get the KVM to work?

wadup

Feb 13, 2024
MeshCommander needs a display plugged in to show the screen. If this is a headless box unraid/proxmox etc you can use a Headless HDMI Adapter.

Aug 20, 2023
So what are the bios options I need to enable for vPro ? Also do I need to dedicate the network for vPro or can my OS use the port at the same time?

I attempted to do this without mesh commander, since that is deprecated.

I used the intel manageability commander (Intel® Manageability Commander)

I am able to install this and at localhost, I can reach the management interface.

I can also reach the WebUI interface at localhost:16992

However, if I try to reach these from another machine, I get no response. I can ping the interface, so the route seems open.

ie. 192.168.1.10:16992 gets no response.

similarly, setting up intel managerability (or mesh commander's last version) also results in 'local works, remote doesn't'

What am I missing?
@merlina2 How did you get IP, via DHCP ?

wadup

Feb 13, 2024
I haven't figured everything out yet but I can get you started. I can honestly see why people don't mess with vPRO it is really finicky.

You have to set a complex password 1 capital, 1 number, 1 special and at least 8 characters.

Screenshot 2024-02-15 134147.png
Once you do that it unlocks the other settings

Screenshot 2024-02-15 134515.png

Inside Intel AMT Configuration

Screenshot 2024-02-15 134540.png

Redirection everything is on can leave that default

User Consent

Screenshot 2024-02-15 134602.png
Above if you don't want any prompts to allow

Network Setup

Screenshot 2024-02-15 134624.png
Intel ME Network Name Settings

This can be used to separate FQDN/IP from the OS FQDN/IP. Shared would use the same FQDN/IP as OS and dedicated would be separate from OS. I have seen videos saying that dedicated is required when the machine is off but when my machine is off vPRO is not working.

Network Access State needs to be Network Active

The rest can stay default.

Like I said above if the machine is shut down I haven't figured out how to turn it back on. vPRO worked one time and I powered it back on with MeshCommander but then it stopped working. WOL I havent been able to get it to work with a few utilities I have tried. If you remote in to the machine through MeshCommander you cannot manage MBEx settings.

Attachments

wadup

Feb 13, 2024
If anyone figures out how to keep vpro online while the machine is off please let me know. I feel like I have tried everything.