Dell VEP/VMWare Edge/Velo Cloud SD-WAN/VeraCloud VEP1400/VEP1400-X firewall units

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ChadSpeedburger

May 3, 2024
Ok, so looks like a switch issue. Plugged the laptop direct into the VEP1445 and ping and SSH worked straight way. Time to start troubleshooting (or replacing) the TP-Link switch.

Thanks for all your help @nmpu :)

suqianstone

Mar 30, 2024
Is this a loopback test or is there an external server involved? Are you concluding that an Edge 620 with 3 allocated cores can't even achieve 50% of line rate? I'm not suggesting that's unrealistic.
Yes, I'm a bit dissatisfied with the speed of Edge 620. Looking forward to someone testing the speed of 640 680 on Panabit OS.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
I haven't done anything explicit with IOMMU groups. When I type
Code:
find /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/ -type l
there are 29 different groups.

If there's some other diagnostic you'd like to see, tell me what to type.
Would you mind posting the full output of "
find /sys/kernel/iommu_groups/ -type l
" when you run it? It sounds like all the VF get their own group which would be great.

Also since you have the 680, whats your "idle" power like with your config?

nmpu

Sep 22, 2023
Bradenton, Florida, USA
can I check if you're using a 2280 nvme drive with a mini-pcie adapter on the wifi slot? Any mods needed to fit?
WiFi2NVME1.png

WiFi2NVMe2.png

I think you'll want to insulate the underside of the adapter PCB. I used heatshrink. I did cut some notches with a Dremel tool so that it would lie flat. Otherwise, the adapter will have a slight incline. Be aware that it's only a x1 PCIe connection. I'm not sure what revision. With the latest BIOS and after a factory reset, my units complain when the Wi-Fi module is removed. You might want to clear that hurdle first.

I used this adapter.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: GuybrushThreepwood

suqianstone

Mar 30, 2024
View attachment 36535

View attachment 36536

I think you'll want to insulate the underside of the adapter PCB. I used heatshrink. I did cut some notches with a Dremel tool so that it would lie flat. Otherwise, the adapter will have a slight incline. Be aware that it's only a x1 PCIe connection. I'm not sure what revision. With the latest BIOS and after a factory reset, my units complain when the Wi-Fi module is removed. You might want to clear that hurdle first.

I used this adapter.
Excuse me! Can the original WIFI module be disassembled and replaced with an SSD hard drive?

Aug 2, 2015
Excuse me! Can the original WIFI module be disassembled and replaced with an SSD hard drive?
Yes it can, with no issues on the older BIOS. If using newer BIOS, it will end up in a boot loop complaining of the missing Wi-Fi module.

@nmpu said (in his link) that he used a workaround for newer BIOS disabling some POST function in NVRAM, but this must be done before changing out the Wi-Fi module with the SSD. By the way @nmpu, any downside to disabling that POST?

suqianstone

Mar 30, 2024
Thank you, I just removed the WiFi module and everything is working fine. But it doesn't seem to affect my use.1715300523206.png

nmpu

Sep 22, 2023
Bradenton, Florida, USA
Yes it can, with no issues on the older BIOS. If using newer BIOS, it will end up in a boot loop complaining of the missing Wi-Fi module.

@nmpu said (in his link) that he used a workaround for newer BIOS disabling some POST function in NVRAM, but this must be done before changing out the Wi-Fi module with the SSD. By the way @nmpu, any downside to disabling that POST?
Based on other people's responses, I think the 'boot loop' is a possibility but not a guarantee. In my experimentation and trials, I've performed multiple factory resets (hold reset until Factory Reset comes out the console). As a result, I now have a very strict hardware check. The only downside to disabling POST is that I don't have the static snapshot of temperature and fan speed in the BIOS. At some point, I hope to replicate those functions with a real-time display. I've already worked out the I2C commands. Here's my complete boot sequence:
Code:
BIOS Boot Selector for VEP1400-X
Version 3.48.0.9-22

POST Configuration
  CPU Signature 506F1
  CPU FamilyID=6, Model=5F, SteppingId=1, Processor=0
  Microcode Revision 38
  Platform ID: 0x0
  PMG_CST_CFG_CTL: 0x37
  Misc EN: 0x840089
  Gen PM ConA: 0xA0A00200
  Therm Status: 0x8000000
  POST Control=0xEA800300, Status=0xE6000000

BIOS initializations...

CPGC Memtest Channel 0 ...................... PASS

CPGC Memtest Channel 1 ...................... PASS
  POST disabled(0xEA800300), bypassing.
37, 00068003, 4F, 3B, 00068002, 60, DXE_CORE_STARTED (03041000)
61, 9A, 02020000, 62, 78, 68, 69, 00068005, 6A, 70, 00068008, 71, 79, 03058001, 90,
DXE_BDS_STARTED (03041001), 92,
PciBusStart(02010000): 94, 02011000, 94, 02011000, 94, 02011000, 94, 02011000, 94, 02011000, 94, 02011000, 95, 96, 91, 92,
PciBusStart(02010000): 97,
98, 98, 9D, 9D, 02020004, 9C, 9C, 02020003, 92, 92,
PciBusStart(02010000): A0, A0, A0, A0,
AhciBusStart (02080000), A2, A2, AHCI port 5 reset 1 pass
SATA ConfigureDevice Port 5: Device SK hynix SC401 SATA 512GB Pass

AMI Code Label: 0ACHI053
RC  Version   : 0.149.4.66
SPS Version   : 0B:4.0.4.830
CPLD: 0.42

Current BOOT from Primary BIOS

Version 2.19.1266. Copyright (C) 2023 American Megatrends, Inc.
BIOS Date: 09/19/2023 16:14:01 Ver: 0ACHI053
Press <DEL> or <F2> to enter setup.
Entering Setup...A9, A9,

Aptio Setup Utility - Copyright (C) 2023 American Megatrends, Inc.
          Advanced
/----------------------------------------------------+-------------------------\
|  POST Test                                        ^|LED test mode            |
|                                                   *|                         |
|  Temperature                                      *|                         |
|  Mainboard                                        *|                         |
|  Support Temp            N/A                      *|                         |
|  Temperature             N/A                      *|                         |
|  Test Status             N/A                      +|                         |
|                                                   +|                         |
|  FAN                                              +|                         |
|  [FAN1]                                           +|-------------------------|
|  Support speed           N/A                      +|><: Select Screen        |
|  Fan Speed               N/A                      +|^v: Select Item          |
|  Test Status             N/A                      +|Enter: Select            |
|                                                   +|+/-: Change Opt.         |
|  [FAN2]                                           +|F1: General Help         |
|  Support speed           N/A                      +|F2: Previous Values      |
|  Fan Speed               N/A                      +|F3: Optimized Defaults   |
|  Test Status             N/A                      v|F4: Save & Exit          |
|                                                    |ESC: Exit                |
\----------------------------------------------------+-------------------------/
Here's the NVMe menu:
Code:
          Advanced
/----------------------------------------------------+-------------------------\
|  NVMe Configuration                                |                         |
|                                                    |                         |
|> Samsung SSD 980 1TB                               |                         |
|                                                    |                         |
|                                                    |-------------------------|
|                                                    |><: Select Screen        |
|                                                    |^v: Select Item          |
|                                                    |Enter: Select            |
|                                                    |+/-: Change Opt.         |
|                                                    |F1: General Help         |
|                                                    |F2: Previous Values      |
|                                                    |F3: Optimized Defaults   |
|                                                    |F4: Save & Exit          |
|                                                    |ESC: Exit                |
\----------------------------------------------------+-------------------------/
Code:
          Advanced
|  Seg:Bus:Dev:Func        00:04:00:00               |                         |
|  Model Number            Samsung SSD 980 1TB       |                         |
|  Total Size              1000.2 GB                 |                         |
|  Vendor ID               144D                      |                         |
|  Device ID               A809                      |                         |
|  Namespace: 1            Size: 1000.2 GB           |                         |
|                                                    |-------------------------|
|                                                    |><: Select Screen        |
|                                                    |^v: Select Item          |
|                                                    |Enter: Select            |
|                                                    |+/-: Change Opt.         |
|                                                    |F1: General Help         |
|                                                    |F2: Previous Values      |
|                                                    |F3: Optimized Defaults   |
|                                                    |F4: Save & Exit          |

6TTLAB

May 10, 2024
Hello all,

I've just put my hands on an Edge 620 (apparently similar to VEP1425, in the VEP1400-X family, with the two SFP+ ports).

The unit I received had been totally wiped out so, as you may rightly guess, it rebooted every 5 minutes (watchdog kicking in).

Note that only loading Dell's DiagOS will not prevent the watchdog from activating, and there is no BIOS setting that I've been able to find that would allow the watchdog to be deactivated.

I researched the subject a bit and found out that if the regular VEP1400(x) BIOS was loaded, the watchdog could be deactivated (in fact, after loading the regular VEP1400 BIOS, even without touching any settings, the watchdog did not activate anymore).

In order to do anything you need to connect to the serial console of the unit. The serial console is located under a small plate at the rear of the unit. No need for a special cable; just a regular USB_A to micro USB cable will do. Settings are 115200 bauds, 8N1 , xon/xoff ,istrip.I'm using screen under linux and my command was sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200,cs8,-ixon,-ixoff,istrip. Here is a picture of the console port:

View attachment 27802

Here is a list of the files I used on my unit:
To install DiagOS, you only need to burn the image on a USB stick then boot from it from the EFI loader.

To install the BIOS file, you need to boot into DiagOS, copy the .bin file directly into the /root directory, then run (from the /root directory):
Bash:
./VEP1400-X-BIOS-3.48.0.9-19.bin
The BIOS flash procedure initially performs a reboot of the device, then you need to re-run the command the above command from the /root directory. This will flash the BIOS, the CPLD and the PIC, in this particular order if I remember well (sorry, did not take screenshots and going from my old man's memory...)

Note: in my particular case, the CPLD flash initially failed, but after performing a cold reset and re-doing the whole flash procedure above it worked out properly.

Also note that after the BIOS flash, the boot sequence messages are much more verbose.

I've since installed PFSense (could have installed OPNSense as well, but the thing is this was the first thing that came into my hands that did not involve installation using VGA) and here are my initial findings.

First, no issues during installation on the 128Gb nvme internal drive. Which is good news I guess.

Second, FreeBSD only seems to detect both SFP+ interfaces (I've installed some cheap 10GTek rj45 modules just to test and it works great). All other 6 interfaces show up as nonen@pci00:... (where n is the interface number: so none0@pci, none1@pci, etc) when typing pciconf -lv. The NIC LEDs don't even try to light up.

Also, going into the BIOS and selecting one of those intefaces, it never detects a link (and no NIC LEDs either):

Code:
      Aptio Setup Utility - Copyright (C) 2022 American Megatrends, Inc.      
          Advanced                                                            
|> NIC Configuration                                 |Click to configure the   |
|                                                    |network device port.     |
|  Blink LEDs              0                         |                         |
|  UEFI Driver             Intel(R) 10GbE Driver     |                         |
|                          7.0.19 x64                |                         |
|  Adapter PBA             000600-000                |                         |
|  Device Name             Intel(R) Ethernet         |                         |
|                          Connection X553 1GbE      |                         |
|  Chip Type               Intel X550                |-------------------------|
|  PCI Device ID           15E5                      |><: Select Screen        |
|  PCI Address             07:00:00                  |^v: Select Item          |
|  Link Status             [Disconnected]            |+/-: Change Opt.         |
|  MAC Address             18:5A:58:BC:2E:E6         |F2: Previous Values      |
|  Virtual MAC Address     00:00:00:00:00:00         |F3: Optimized Defaults   |
        Version 2.19.1266. Copyright (C) 2022 American Megatrends, Inc.
Note, though, that if/when you load DiagOS, and if you connect one of the six 1Gb ports to the network, the NIC port LEDs will start blinking.

This is where I'm at right now and I'm trying to figure out whether the proper driver is getting loaded (for the Intel X553 interfaces) and/or if there is some firmware that needs to be dynamically loaded during the OS boot in order to get the NICs to even respond. I'm thinking this might be the case since loading DiagOS seems to allow the NICs to work properly.

If anyone has an idea that could help me/us going further, that would be great.

Right now, the device could work as a 2 port firewall but hey, would be great to revive the 6 other ports.

Cheers,
hi bro , edge620 can use you send DiagOS?