CRS504-4XQ-IN and Breakout DACs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CJRoss

May 31, 2017
I'm looking at upgrading my network from unmanaged 10G to managed 25G. The CRS504 and breakout DACs seem to be the most cost efficient way to do it but I have a few concerns.

What is the longest length DAC I can expect to work? fs.com sells 5m cables but I've previously had issues with longer 10g passive DACs. What can I realisticly expect to work? And how long are the breakout sections for the longer cables? Are they always around .5m or do they get longer with longer overall cables?

If I want to run a dedicated storage segment with mtu 9000, etc, do I need to dedicate an entire connection to it or will the CRS504 handle a mix of VLANs?

Are there any other gotchas that I should watch out for? Thanks.

CJRoss

May 31, 2017
Maybe the new CRS510-8XS-2XQ-IN | MikroTik would be better, for pure easy of cabling, might be worth the extra about 100-150$

basically the same unit as 504 but with 2 of the QSPF already broken out
I considered that, but I have the same questions and concerns with it. I'm not sure how long a DAC I can use and I'll still need to breakout the other two ports.

Chriggel

Mar 30, 2024
Some people, me included, limit passive DACs to 3m, even if 5m is supported. Active DACs exist for a reason, but are a niche. If you need longer connections but still don't want to use optical transceivers, AOC is the way to go as a sort of middle ground between the two.

xyvyx

Apr 22, 2020
I had good luck w/ an optical breakout box from FS.com & using several different types of optical transceivers on the other end... 25Gb into an Intel/Supermicro/ESXi box, a couple Mikrotik switches, one ubiquiti switch & the 25Gb mellanox card in the PC I'm typing this on. So several different lengths & speeds w/ 100Gb transceivers in the 504