Clover boot help: Booting to NVME Windows 10, on machine with old BIOS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DrStein99

If it does not exist ? I am probably building it.
Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
My workstation bios on Dell Precision T7600 is too old to boot to NVME ssd, which I have on a PCIE card, in a x4 slot. I cloned image copied the windows 10 partitions from existing drive to the NVME drive, using Macarium.

Clover bootstrap seems to be my only option to get to boot this workstation to the NVME drive. If anyone else has advice I gladly entertain other suggestions.

I can boot clover to my existing windows 10 install on existing Sata SSD. When I select the NVME drive, I get blue-screen of death startup "windows can not start up press f8 to startup repair, insert windows repair media ..." Since clover boots from a small partition on the usb thumbdrive, I can't boot into a startup repair or figure out how to do that.

So I need to figure out how to actually startup repair, or correct what needs to be done to get this clover to boot into the NVME cloned windows 10 partitions on that drive. I watched the tutorials, read as much as I think I found so far and can't find anyone else with windows 10 startup repair issues.

Can anyone please help?

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
I think your clone didn't work correctly. I would advise changing to efi boot mode, and just trying clean install (without clover) to confirm its not clone issue.

Alternatively you can get those plx pcie cards (but still you need to set your bios to boot in efi mode to boot from them / had r720's boot from this one)

or you can try your luck with cheaper ones

lesory

Dec 21, 2023
I think your clone didn't work correctly. I would advise changing to efi boot mode, and just trying clean install (without clover) to confirm its not clone issue.

Alternatively you can get those plx pcie cards (but still you need to set your bios to boot in efi mode to boot from them / had r720's boot from this one)

or you can try your luck with cheaper ones
Hi
Dell t7600 does not support booting OS directly from PCIe, there is only Samsung 950 pro NVME can do that (it may has a way to load the NVME driver for the bios recognizing OS from it)
We have to use "middle man" such as clover or an USB that load the NVME driver first then redirect the booting to the NVME disk which contained OS (i'm currently using this way)

My question is: will your 3 listed link above could help me get rid of "middle man USB" by directly boot in the RAID adapter?
Cause using RAID adapter is new method to me
Thank you!

Last edited:

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
The first link with nvme controller does work with r720 for booting. Didn't try the other 2.

Reactions: lesory