Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JD7

Apr 30, 2024
Yes used management port. As for the tftp maybe that is the problem? I used the listed commands from the documents to set the IP to 10.0.2.2 . I use 10.0.0.xxx for all my homelab stuff but wasnt sure what ip were unused in that range. Maybe part of the issue? I didn't change anything inside the tftp program. I may have misunderstood the documentation but I was under the impression that the included tftp program was pre-configured and not to be messed with.

I'll try again in the morning and get screenshots of the bootloader window, tftp settings and whatever else may help.

I didn't get any notifications that Windows Defender was blocking anything but I'll try turning that off also. Whatever the issue is I can almost guarantee it is user error, like I said this is all new to me and I had to watch a YouTube tutorial just to establish a serial connection through putty.

One thing that was throwing me off was that most of the commands I would enter from the documentation didn't seem to get any reply from the system and usually anything that did get a reply was saying that it was an incomplete or invalid command or something like that. I'm not sure if that is normal or not but it seemed a whole lot like I was just typing to myself. I'm more familiar with using a terminal for 3D printers and they usually output some sort of reply.
Open the switch in putty, then keep putty up pull the power on the switch then plug it back in and bash the hell out of your B key and dont stop until you see it typed on your screen at that point you should be in the bootloader, when I do it I have one hand on my power cord and the other hovered over the B key i do this with my laptop.

BossHoss

Apr 29, 2024
you need to get into the bootloader to begin, not the full OS. you're not interrupting it by hitting B like it says
Like I said before I definitely was in the bootloader although not for the screenshot I took the screenshot after I exited out of the bootloader to see if it made any difference. The first thing I had to do in the bootloader was delete the 15 or so lowercase letter B's. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have posted the screenshot because it seems to be creating more confusion than anything.

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
Yes used management port. As for the tftp maybe that is the problem? I used the listed commands from the documents to set the IP to 10.0.2.2 . I use 10.0.0.xxx for all my homelab stuff but wasnt sure what ip were unused in that range. Maybe part of the issue?
Those IPs are on different subnets.

donedeal19

Jul 10, 2013
Follow the guide instructions and don’t deviate from it. Manually set ip on laptop/pc to the .8 address, switch is .50 address. Point tftp browser to the”tftp content” folder. Don’t need to go into the sub folder. Copy and paste each command one by one until updates. Afterwards setup your own ip address.

This assumes that you download your files from the captain’s website.

BossHoss

Apr 29, 2024
Follow the guide instructions and don’t deviate from it. Manually set ip on laptop/pc to the .8 address, switch is .50 address. Point tftp browser to the”tftp content” folder. Don’t need to go into the sub folder. Copy and paste each command one by one until updates. Afterwards setup your own ip address.

im getting more confused by the minute. i thought i was following the instructions without deviating. " Now at the boot prompt, give the bootloader a temporary IP on your network, as well as supply the IP of your TFTP server where it can find your files. Replace the example IPs with your own."

" #Temp IP address of the switch:
setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.50
setenv netmask 255.255.255.0

#IP of your TFTP server:
setenv serverip 192.168.1.8
setenv image_name ICX7xxx/SPR08090mc.bin
setenv uboot ICX7xxx/spz10118.bin "

were those not the "example ip's" i was supposed to replace with my own?

zip downloaded from: https://fohdeesha.com/docs/store/brocade-12-19-2023.zip
guide i've been trying to follow: ICX7250 / ICX7450 - Fohdeesha Docs

i got in way over my head for sure on this one.....

BossHoss

Apr 29, 2024

i cant even figure out how to set the pc to the .8 address because it says its out of the range
Screenshot 2024-05-04 150211.pngScreenshot 2024-05-04 145832.png

JD7

Apr 30, 2024
im getting more confused by the minute. i thought i was following the instructions without deviating. " Now at the boot prompt, give the bootloader a temporary IP on your network, as well as supply the IP of your TFTP server where it can find your files. Replace the example IPs with your own."

" #Temp IP address of the switch:
setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.50
setenv netmask 255.255.255.0

#IP of your TFTP server:
setenv serverip 192.168.1.8
setenv image_name ICX7xxx/SPR08090mc.bin
setenv uboot ICX7xxx/spz10118.bin "

were those not the "example ip's" i was supposed to replace with my own?

zip downloaded from: https://fohdeesha.com/docs/store/brocade-12-19-2023.zip
guide i've been trying to follow: ICX7250 / ICX7450 - Fohdeesha Docs

i got in way over my head for sure on this one.....
if your not to experienced with subnets and IP just use the IP/subnet listed in the instructions, you can configure it without it being plugged into your network until your done. then hook it up and use it, then after you done applying the licenses you can just change the IP of the switch to your actually network and then hook it in and go from there.

BossHoss

Apr 29, 2024
Those IPs are on different subnets.
switched it to 10.0.0.2 and turned off firewall but still getting nowhere. the only other thing i can think of would be to unhook pc ethernet from current switch and run straight from pc ethernet to management port instead of the current way going pc>old switch>brocade management port. the serial cable seems to be doing its part i think?
Screenshot 2024-05-04 141848.pngScreenshot 2024-05-04 143951.png

JD7

Apr 30, 2024
switched it to 10.0.0.2 and turned off firewall but still getting nowhere. the only other thing i can think of would be to unhook pc ethernet from current switch and run straight from pc ethernet to management port instead of the current way going pc>old switch>brocade management port. the serial cable seems to be doing its part i think?
View attachment 36494View attachment 36495
you should go ethernet from PC to management port of brocade switch and then static set your PC it looks like your interface in TFTP is for a virtual machine set that to your physical port on your PC/laptop. also your pointed inside your ICX7xxx folder so you should do this

setenv image_name SPR08090mc.bin
setenv uboot spz10118.bin. I see you have .binkill but is that correct? if so do .binkill

BossHoss

Apr 29, 2024
if your not to experienced with subnets and IP just use the IP/subnet listed in the instructions, you can configure it without it being plugged into your network until your done. then hook it up and use it, then after you done applying the licenses you can just change the IP of the switch to your actually network and then hook it in and go from there.
you should go ethernet from PC to management port of brocade switch and then static set your PC it looks like your interface in TFTP is for a virtual machine set that to your physical port on your PC/laptop. also your pointed inside your ICX7xxx folder so you should do this

setenv image_name SPR08090mc.bin
setenv uboot spz10118.bin. I see you have .binkill but is that correct? if so do .binkill
how would i go about doing that? i tried to change the pc ip through my isp's gateway web interface like i do with everything else and got the message about it being out of the possible range. that is the only way i know how. as for the virtual port i thought that was strange too but when browsing from the tftpd64 window it wont show my physical port. maybe i should switch to a laptop and start fresh? im not sure about the .bin vs .binkill im just a noob following step by step instructions and failing lol i only bought the switch because it looks so well documented. i usually do pretty well following step by step tutorials. i've been able to setup multiple servers with proxmox and win server 2019, setup physical servers and vm's running truenas scale and a bunch of raspberry pi projects with tutorials but when something goes off script im dead in the water. im sure going on 4hr/day sleep to still function with a 70hr work week isnt doing me any favors either lol

EDIT i see what you mean now with the .binkill. i entered .bin multiple times and then was entering kill trying to clear the window.

JD7

Apr 30, 2024
how would i go about doing that? i tried to change the pc ip through my isp's gateway web interface like i do with everything else and got the message about it being out of the possible range. that is the only way i know how. as for the virtual port i thought that was strange too but when browsing from the tftpd64 window it wont show my physical port. maybe i should switch to a laptop and start fresh? im not sure about the .bin vs .binkill im just a noob following step by step instructions and failing lol i only bought the switch because it looks so well documented. i usually do pretty well following step by step tutorials. i've been able to setup multiple servers with proxmox and win server 2019, setup physical servers and vm's running truenas scale and a bunch of raspberry pi projects with tutorials but when something goes off script im dead in the water. im sure going on 4hr/day sleep to still function with a 70hr work week isnt doing me any favors either lol

EDIT i see what you mean now with the .binkill. i entered .bin multiple times and then was entering kill trying to clear the window.
what OS are you using on your PC/laptop?

JD7

Apr 30, 2024
win11 pro
I dont have a windows 11 machine on me currently so I'll show you with windows 10 for now. ok so you wanna get to your network connections

image1.PNG
*Now find your physical ethernet port right click it and go to properties down at the bottom.
image2.PNG
Now select IPv4 and click properties
image3.PNG

This is where you static set your PC/laptops IP.

Reactions: donedeal19

JD7

Apr 30, 2024
also make sure you use the port form your machine to go into the management port on the switch you can not just use any port to send files when your in bootloader.
IMG_340232.jpg

JD7

Apr 30, 2024
this has to be set correctly it needs to be your IP that your laptop is using if you static set it just look for the exact same IP in that list and select it and you should be good.image4.PNG

Reactions: donedeal19