Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
ok so i got through the updating and licensing,
at what point can i disconnect the serial cable and configure through web interface?
Web interface is not good (convoluted, poorly played out, has many options hidden or options not applicable to a specific switch) or reliable and really should not be counted on. Also little to no support can be found online from the company or here/reddit type users.

But you should be able to get to the point where you can ssh into the switch from a computer on the network and disconnect the serial cable.

BoGs

Feb 18, 2019
Web interface is not good (convoluted, poorly played out, has many options hidden or options not applicable to a specific switch) or reliable and really should not be counted on. Also little to no support can be found online from the company or here/reddit type users.

But you should be able to get to the point where you can ssh into the switch from a computer on the network and disconnect the serial cable.
This was mentioned, this is not an easyish switch. If all you want a L2 with SFP+ modules you are set and online. If you are looking for more advanced stuff you can read the documents in the zip or brocade has them online on what you want to do.

If you are looking for an easy UI a Unifi might be better but that is barely a L2+ switch, and I am trying to rip that crap out as the default support is "reset the switch" and coincidentally wipe out all vlan mapping and controller etc.

BossHoss

Apr 29, 2024
Default Route & DNS
If you want your switch to be able to contact NTP servers for time synchronization, remote SNMP servers, etc, we need to give the switch a default route and a DNS server. Replace the IP with the IP of your gateway/router/etc. Assuming you are still at the configure terminal level:

ip dns server-address 192.168.1.1
ip route 0.0.0.0/0 192.168.1.1
at this point if my default gateway from isp is set to 10.0.0.1, the 7250 set to 10.0.0.202/24 my primary dns is set to 75.75.75.75
how would i want to enter that?

ip dns server-address 10.0.0.1
ip route 10.0.0.202/24 10.0.0.1
?

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland
Tested the power consumption of a couple of 40Gb modules mentioned in this thread.

PMD-USB measures only the PCIE slot and does not account for PSU losses before it.

The modules were tested without active link / load but had LC UPC Duplex OM3 -cable physically connected.

Gear used:
- ElmorLabs PMD-USB Power Measurement Board
- ElmorLabs PMD-AD PCIE Power Measurement Board
- Supermicro X10SLL-F booted into Ubuntu 24.04 installation media desktop

NICs tested:
- Mellanox ConnectX-4 EN 50GbE single-port QSFP28 (MCX413A-GCAT)
- Intel X710-DA2 (mfg 10/2022)

Results:
VoltageCurrentPower
MCX413A-GCAT only11.94 V0.5 A5.97 W
MCX413A-GCAT with KAIAM XQX250211.94 V0.6 A7.164 W
MCX413A-GCAT with Juniper JNP-QSFP-40G-LX411.93 V0.9 A10.737 W
Intel X710-DA2 only12 V0.1 A1.2 W
Chelsio T580-LP-CR only11.95 V0.8 A9.56 W
Intel X710-T2L only12 V0.2 A2.4 W
Intel X710-T2L with 1x 10Gb copper connected11.98 V0.3 A3.594 W

edit: Added Intel X710-DA2
edit: Added Chelsio T580-LP-CR, Intel X710-T2L
Added Intel X710-DA2, Chelsio T580-LP-CR, Intel X710-T2L

Craig Curtin

Jun 18, 2017
Hey Guys,

Need to make some remote changes to a pair of 6450s that are joined by a single 10GB link.

They are remote to me and no on onsite has a lot of technical ability (maybe as far as pull a power cord etc) They are being used in a Ski lodge which is about 6 hours drive away from me.

They have essentially been setup as the default single vlan (1) with all ports in that VLAN (it was migrated from some older switches and they thought it was simplest to just duplicate the same setup)

We now wish to implement VLANs - the first part of which will be to put both the 10GB ports (at each end) into a new VLAN and have VLAN 1 as dual mode on this interface

Is there a batch way of sending commands to the switches - i have remote access to both - but the PC i am on is only connected to a single switch - so i need to be able to send commands in a batch to the "far" switch and have them execute and then configure the switch the PC is connected to to recognize the new dual mode port

I do have a PC on the 2nd switch - but it is only accessible by jumping across the 10GB link

SO need to attach to it first (windows) - then SSH into the switch, send the batch commands and have them complete and then do the same on the 1st switch from another PC

Ideas ?

Craig

jode

Jul 27, 2021
If I understand you correctly, you have two 6450 switches in your LAN and they are connected via a 10gb link.

To simplify configuration and keep configurations in sync between these two switches the easiest way is to "stack" them. Once stacked, they work in unison and when connected to one switch you have control over the other as well (e.g. configure ports of the other switch).

Assuming you downloaded the package from the first post look for "fastiron-08030b-switchstackingguide.pdf" for the documentation of this feature.

Reactions: sic0048