Drag to reposition cover

ASUS Pro WS W790E-SAGE SE + Intel Xeon Sapphire Rapids SP ES = works it

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JosefHrib

Jul 25, 2023
assume that I would also have full functionality of the W790-ACE too with this CPU if that's the case? just the W790-SAGE is crippled?
What do you mean "just SAGE is crippled"? I do not understand you. SPR-SP will always have less PCIe lanes with W790, whether ACE or SAGE.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
What do you mean "just SAGE is crippled"? I do not understand you. SPR-SP will always have less PCIe lanes with W790, whether ACE or SAGE.
ASRock WS W790 and ASUS W790 Ace use 64 lanes.
SAGE uses 112 lanes, so you have all features only with Xeon W?-3400 but not with SPR-SP or Xeon W?-2400

Reactions: JosefHrib

JosefHrib

Jul 25, 2023
ASRock WS W790 and ASUS W790 Ace use 64 lanes.
SAGE uses 112 lanes, so you have all features only with Xeon W?-3400 but not with SPR-SP or Xeon W?-2400
Oh, this he meant. But this information about PCIe lines is known from the beginning for both boards ace sage or not.

• Love
Reactions: RolloZ170

twin_savage

Jan 26, 2018
Now I waiting on new 128GB 8000MHz DDR5 RDIMM Micron, Monolithic 32 Gb Die.
For test I pre-ordered only two pieces (256GB), but if will be ok so in future I will buy more pieces. Hopefully I won't have to wait a long time.

It's unlikely that any modern processor could run 8000MHz with x4 organized RDIMMs that those Microns are configured as. 32Gb memory dies would let you make 64GB x8 organized dual rank RDIMMs though which would likely have a much easier time reaching high memory speeds on an actual processor's IMC.
For SPR-WS, there seems to be a pretty hard wall at 6000MHz on x4 organized dual rank RDIMMs.

twin_savage

Jan 26, 2018
x4 is not the problem. supported by all processors with RDIMM support. better choose x4 instead of x8.
x4 RDIMMs are going to be harder for the IMC to drive than x8 RDIMMs given they are the same rank since they have twice as many packages on them and the impedance between the packages isn't as perfectly matched as impedance to fewer packages. Although to be fair for a dual rank x4 RDIMM to be the same size as a dual rank x8 RDIMM, the x4 organized RDIMM will have memory packages with half the capacity.

Often times even a single rank x4 organized RDIMM can't be driven as fast as a dual rank x8 organized RDIMM.

Practical evidence of this is can be seen in some of the memory binnings manufactures offer, this one from vcolor is a particularly good example of x8 offering higher frequency in real world scenarios:
1715197267334.png

JosefHrib

Jul 25, 2023

Specification
Data Rate 8000MT/s
Nominal Voltage (VDD/VDDQ/VPP) 1.1V/1.1V/1.8V
Burst Length BL16, BC8
Bank Count (x4) 32
Module Configuration/Form Factor 2Rx4 RDIMM
DRAM Component Density 32Gb Module Capacity 128GB
Power Consumption 10W @ 4800
Operating Temperature 0-95C
DRAM Component Package Size 7.5x11.5x1.0mm
32Gb tRFC1/tRFC2/tRFCsb 410/220/190ns
JEDEC Specification Compliance JESD79-5B
JEDEC-Optional Feature Support MBIST/mPPR ARFM/DRFM 4-phase clocking Clock Sync Rx DQS CTLE

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Although to be fair for a dual rank x4 RDIMM to be the same size as a dual rank x8 RDIMM, the x4 organized RDIMM will have memory packages with half the capacity.
ok, you can have double the capacity with x4 chips(same density) w. same rank count.

twin_savage

Jan 26, 2018
ok, you can have double the capacity with x4 chips(same density) w. same rank count.
Yes very true, but I think (making assumption here) the problem is that trace routing on the RDIMM PCBs suffers with x4 organization since they need to fan out to more packages compared to x8 organized RDIMMs which degrades the impedance match between packages.
The best 1Rx4 bins tend to be slower than the best 2Rx8 bins, although we're talking about OC memory at this point.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
The best 1Rx4 bins tend to be slower than the best 2Rx8 bins, although we're talking about OC memory at this point.
you not me.
i was refering to:
It's unlikely that any modern processor could run... ...with x4 organized RDIMMs
Yes very true, but I think (making assumption here) the problem is that trace routing on the RDIMM PCBs suffers with x4 organization since they need to fan out to more packages compared to x8 organized RDIMMs which degrades the impedance match between packages.
you miss the fact DDR5 specs include chip clocks for x4 packages. using x8 chips make half of them unused.

twin_savage

Jan 26, 2018
you not me.
i was refering to:
It's unlikely that any modern processor could run... ...with x4 organized RDIMMs
I should have been more specific, I don't think sapphire rapids or emerald rapids could ever hit those memory speeds on an x4 organized RDIMM, but probably could on an x8 organized RDIMM given favorable OC circumstances.

I was going to say I'm skeptical that the next Xeon processor generation (granite rapids) is going to have 8000MHz memory as many news articles are insinuating. Going from 5600>8000MHz in one generation is a very large jump, but now the news is reporting that the next generation of Xeon processors are going to have 8800MHz memory speed which is bonkers and seems to bold to be a lie.

you miss the fact DDR5 specs include chip clocks for x4 packages. using x8 chips make half of them unused.
The RCD helps with clocking on the RDIMMs, and buffers the CA bus, but the actual data interface to the DRAM packages is directly exposed to the processor, making it hard to for the IMC to drive more packages at high speed.
LRDIMMs isolate the processor's IMC from the messiness of all the different ranks and impedance mismatch of the DRAM packages themself, but ironically in my experience are harder to drive than 2Rx8 memory, but easier to drive than x4 organized memory.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
This a little bit off topic but I hope it is OK for me to ask it.

How are you guys controlling fan speeds on this motherboard? I installed Armory Crate and couldn't find anything useful functionality on that software. I also haven't had a chance to figure out how to use the IPMI yet.

I was hoping to find a basic fan control software that comes with Asus motherboards. Also any other hints and tips as I plan to switch to this system as my primary Lighthouse system as well as development machine.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
How are you guys controlling fan speeds on this motherboard? I installed Armory Crate and couldn't find anything useful functionality on that software
Fan Xpert 4. but SAGE is controlled by BMC AST2600, possibly only BMC/IPMI can control FANs.
maybe there is an interface between both.
i had only a W790-Ace (without BMC,) FANs are controled the classic BIOS way.

Reactions: Bert

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
This a little bit off topic but I hope it is OK for me to ask it.

How are you guys controlling fan speeds on this motherboard? I installed Armory Crate and couldn't find anything useful functionality on that software. I also haven't had a chance to figure out how to use the IPMI yet.

I was hoping to find a basic fan control software that comes with Asus motherboards. Also any other hints and tips as I plan to switch to this system as my primary Lighthouse system as well as development machine.
If nothing else helps then worst case PWM controllers like HW-585 (3-channels) or Corsair Commander Pro/Core/XT versions (with iCue software managed via USB).

twin_savage

Jan 26, 2018
@RolloZ170 is right, the BMC web portal is the only place you'd want to configure the fans on the W790 SAGE; I'm sure it could be done with ipmitool raw commands aswell, but no one would want to do it that way.

Fan curves can be set for individual fan headers and critical event fan thresholds can be adjusted:

1715720711844.png

Reactions: RolloZ170