Any issues with repurposing a Dell Data Domain server as an R740

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chrgrose

Jul 18, 2018
So, I recently came into possession of a Dell PowerProtect DD9400. The main issue with the unit is that, I am told, it cannot be licensed with Dell, rendered ineligible for an unknown reason, but probably because it was an DEMO or RMA unit. It is an otherwise impressive machine with essentially identical hardware to an R740xd, and it seems to work fine, although I haven't booted into an OS yet. Since it seems that the end users that would want to use it for its intended purpose are not interested in an unlicensable machine, I am wondering what issues would one run into trying to repurpose it for something like Hyper-V/ESXi, as if it were a normal R740. Does anyone know if there is anything about the way these DD systems work that would make that difficult or impossible?

I appreciate any thoughts!

Encry

Mar 25, 2024
I am in posession of a DD9300 currently at my lab, and so far the best luck i've had is running truenas OS off of a USB device in the back of the unit, as i have not been able to select any of the drives in the SAS backplane as boot priority in the BIOS.
however, according to the guide on dells website(Data Domain: USB fresh install on 6300, 6800, 9300, 9500, 9800 Data Domain systems | Dell US), the last image/screenshot clearly shows some micron SSDs being able to be selected as a boot device. therefore i suspect that there might be some outdated drivers/firmware on my datadomain, that contribute to the drives not showing up.

AFAIK the only way to update the firmware/driver on the components of the Datadomain, is by installing the firmware updates through the Datadomain operating system (which i have sadly wiped from the drives)

have you had any luck with this? considering this postwas made 3-4 months ago...

regards

Reactions: chrgrose

Encry

Mar 25, 2024
I have sorted it out. seems like the only drives that will be bootable, are the ones in the front. the drives in the back (cache disks) are not bootable as the bios wont check for an OS on them.

im now running TrueNAS on two mirrored drives in the front.

also, sorry for necroing the post :p

Reactions: chrgrose