Search results

1. C

[FS][Los Angeles] (Moving Sale) CISCO 2U M3/M4 Servers and M4 Blades

I'll be moving across the country soon, perhaps by July, and I'm looking to get rid of a number of CISCO servers. I can pack reasonably well (lots of ULINE materials) or local pickup is available (Monterey Park area). You will pay shipping cost, but I have a UPS business account and get pretty...
  2. C

WTB: 64GB 2400T DIMM

Looking to purchase a number of 64GB 2400 MHz memory modules. Looking for $45/dimm. Interested in small or large quantities. Hynix/Samsung/Micron/Kingston Note: 4DRx4 is OK.
  3. C

Any issues with repurposing a Dell Data Domain server as an R740

So, I recently came into possession of a Dell PowerProtect DD9400. The main issue with the unit is that, I am told, it cannot be licensed with Dell, rendered ineligible for an unknown reason, but probably because it was an DEMO or RMA unit. It is an otherwise impressive machine with essentially...
  4. C

Epyc 7742 (Dell only) $655

Good price for an EPYC 7742. Neutered by Dell, but a good price nevertheless.
  5. C

Bought an OEMR (Unitrends) R340. How does this compare to a normal R340?

So, I got in on a good deal for an OEMR R340, posted in this thread. I have not yet been very familiar with OEMR Dells, but this one came installed with a Unitrends "recovery series backup appliance" BIOS. iDRAC and lifecycle controller also do not have the Dell branding. I'm curious about...
  6. C

Yellow Corp (YRC) shutting down all freight operations. Are there any affordable alternatives?

I've used YRC freight (Yellow Corp) for my LTL freight needs several times in the last few years. I've found them very affordable. In fact, just last Tuesday I had them pick up two pallets in Pennsylvania for delivery to me in Los Angeles. That was the very last day they were doing pickups and...
  7. C

4x32GB Innodisk 2133P memory $40

Great price if they actually work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/166186530354
  8. C

Any tips on removing CISCO rack server lids? Is this the worst mechanism in server history?

So, Cisco rack servers use a lid-opening mechanism that requires you to press down on a thumb-sized button in the lid, which moves the metal bracket the button is installed on, below a barrier, unlocking the cover. To remove the cover you then just pull it toward the rear of the server and, in...
  9. C

What is the monetary value of support on servers?

I resell server hardware, primarily on eBay, but I don't really dabble in later generation hardware (Xeon scalable and later). So, I rarely get servers that have active OEM support plans. Well, I recently obtained two Dells, an R340 and an R240, both of which have active support until about Feb...
  10. C

Dominus Extreme

This board was very expensive until recently. Dominus Extreme ($800): ASUS ROG DOMINUS EXTREME Intel C621 3647 LGA EEB M.2 Desktop Motherboard NOB | eBay 3175x prices on eBay are ~$850 from china, over $1000 from the USA. Water cooling parts are also being discounted: VRM water block: EKWB...
  11. C

I bought a very peculiar server-PC with a rare motherboard and components for image processing

About a week ago I stumbled across this ebay auction. A rather unique looking tower with a good set of 2nd Gen Scalable Xeons, which of course must at least come with a dual LGA3647 MB. But the seller didn't show any inside pics, so investigate I did. I tried to figure out what it was, based on...
  12. C

Bracket to convert LGA3647 socket water block to fit SP3 socket?

Is anyone familiar with a part available, perhaps some kind of bracket, that will allow me to seat an LGA3647 water block onto an SP3 socket? I would rather not have to buy a whole new block when repurposing parts from a Xeon to an EPYC workstation. Thanks!
  13. C

FS: 2x Dell T7810, HDDs, ECC DIMMs, PSU, CPU's

T7810 Towers: 1. $650. 1x T7810: 2x E5-2697 v4 36-cores, 64GB 4x16GB 2400T RDIMM, QUADRO K420, 750GB 7200RPM HDD in tray, DVD ROM in tray, Win10. 685W PSU 2. $650. 1x T7810: 2x E5-2697 v4 36-cores, 64GB 4x16GB 2400T RDIMM, GTX 745, DVD ROM (but not in tray), No Storage. 825W PSU HDDs: 3. $50...
  14. C

Dell VRTX for HPC - Is it old tech now?

I came across the Dell VRTX, and as an enclosure that accepts four blades, is apparently relatively quiet, and is perhaps (?) less power hungry than multiple R930/R830 I am really intrigued by it. A VRTX with 4 M830's looks to run about $1200-1300, not counting CPU/memory/storage, so the price...
  15. C

Memory not at full speed in Poweredge R920

I have a Poweredge R920 with 4x 4980 v2. My goal is to fill it with 96 16gb dimms running at 1600 MHz. So far I've installed 32 dimms (all whites slots) which are a mix of SK Hyinx 2Rx4 PC3-12800R and low power Samsung 2Rx4 PC3L-12800R dimms. I expected that mixing these modules would result in...
  16. C

Thermal throttling (?) with 2xQL2M (Xeon 8160 ES) on X11DPH-T

I recently purchased: -two QL2M (Xeon 8160 ES) CPU's -supermicro X11DPH-T motherboard -196 GB memory (Micron MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-2G3 2RX8 PC4-2400T ECC REG 19200). -Using a custom water loop. I was able to get the system up and running, with Windows 10 installed, but everything is slow slow slow...
  17. C

A Matlab benchmark for high core count CPUs

I do a lot of model development and prototyping in matlab. I've been working on an old 6 core 4960x system and am looking to upgrade. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a good benchmark for matlab performance. and it is not clear to me if standard CPU benchmarks are useful indicators of...