Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BossHoss

Apr 29, 2024
didnt take long for me to hit another snag. after entering default credentials and creating new ones it started telling me no password was created when i got to the initial config stage of entering "enable"Screenshot 2024-05-04 162924.png

JD7

Apr 30, 2024
didnt take long for me to hit another snag. after entering default credentials and creating new ones it started telling me no password was created when i got to the initial config stage of entering "enable"View attachment 36504
so your locked out or it just hasnt set a password? did you do an wr mem command? after setting the password.

wr mem = write memory

BossHoss

Apr 29, 2024
so your locked out or it just hasnt set a password? did you do an wr mem command? after setting the password.

wr mem = write memory
i stopped after the screenshot above and just let it sit. wasnt sure if i should try unplugging and restarting or what. no i didnt do a wr mem command. had no idea i should have. when it said password was modified successfully for super, i thought i was good to go.

Last edited:

BossHoss

Apr 29, 2024
should i try wr mem now and see if it lets me go on? or is that likely to make a bigger problem. i gotta try to get a nap in quick. im still up from night shift last night. ill check in as soon as i get up.

Last edited:

JD7

Apr 30, 2024
should i try wr mem now and see if it lets me go on? or is that likely to make a bigger problem. i gotta try to get a nap in quick. im still up from night shift last night. ill check in as soon as i get up.
when you make any changes that you want to save yes do a wr mem and if you mess up just delete the startup config and reload the switch and go again, trial and error method if you want.

BossHoss

Apr 29, 2024
when you make any changes that you want to save yes do a wr mem and if you mess up just delete the startup config and reload the switch and go again, trial and error method if you want.
Just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you're telling me worst case scenario is I have to redo the things I've already done, I can't really do any harm like locking myself out completely? Essentially like experimenting with a Raspberry pi.

JD7

Apr 30, 2024
i stopped after the screenshot above and just let it sit. wasnt sure if i should try unplugging and restarting or what. no i didnt do a wr mem command. had no idea i should have. when it said password was modified successfully for super, i thought i was good to go.
ok so if you want to try your username and password its been a minute for me but I dont think it starts right away if your connected with the console cable I think you either need to reload but i would do a wr mem first before doing that.

JD7

Apr 30, 2024
Just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding you're telling me worst case scenario is I have to redo the things I've already done, I can't really do any harm like locking myself out completely? Essentially like experimenting with a Raspberry pi.
Correct if you lock yourself out just go back into the bootloader and delete the startup config or just reload the firmware from there and start over.

TonyArrr

Sep 22, 2021
Straylia
Those IPs are on different subnets.
Well, unless his network is a /8 or /16 or something ;)

didnt take long for me to hit another snag. after entering default credentials and creating new ones it started telling me no password was created when i got to the initial config stage of entering "enable"View attachment 36504
So that’s saying you haven’t set a password to be required to run `enable`
The password you set for the user on the switch, “Super”, will still be there and happy, and you will be asked for that password whenever you log in via the console cable or SSH.

You can additionally set an additional password that is requested whenever you run `enable`, which adds a little extra protection to your configuration, so you really don’t need to worry about that message in a homelab setting

BossHoss

Apr 29, 2024
i started fresh when i got up today and now im getting hung up at this part
Now we need to assign that virtual interface an address. Choose an IP that is unused in your subnet, and out of your DHCP server range (ping it first to be sure it's unused):
i keep getting this "incomplete command" that ip should work right? when i ping it i get nothing

C:\Windows\System32>ping 10.0.0.202

Pinging 10.0.0.202 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.0.0.42: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.202:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Screenshot 2024-05-05 125900.png
Screenshot 2024-05-05 130208.png

BossHoss

Apr 29, 2024
Did you move the network cable from the management port to one of the regular switchports?
no that is 2 steps ahead in the directions im looking at. in the fohdeesha.com/docs/icx7250.html

are others following other instructions? i seem to always be in a different place than others expect when im going in this order.

BossHoss

Apr 29, 2024
that got me through that step and into the step saying to move ethernet to normal port and enter next line and i get an error code 5. the instructions dont say to but im wondering if i should have also switched the pc ip back to its normal ip at this time instead of the example one.

Screenshot 2024-05-05 134059.png

frameshift18

Jan 9, 2019
Yes now your tftp server needs to be in the same ip range and subnet as the vif you just set in the previous step. So they can talk.

In other words put your tftp machine back to how you normally have it with a 10.0.0.x ip and they should be able to talk.

Last edited:

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland
are others following other instructions? i seem to always be in a different place than others expect when im going in this order.
Same instructions. But most starting on this have basic understanding of IPv4 networking. It's a bit of a deep dive without prior knowledge.

BossHoss

Apr 29, 2024
ok so i got through the updating and licensing,
at what point can i disconnect the serial cable and configure through web interface?

Last edited:

ProxmoxProphet

Apr 2, 2024
Earth
why are you defining the next-hop in all your routes as an interface and not as the next-hop IP of whatever router you intend for the routes to hit? also make sure you have ipv6 enable on all your ve interfaces. and make sure you're running the latest 8095 codetrain at least
I was specifying the interface in my ipv6 default route because it points to a link-local IP, and I wanted to specify it's a link-local IP on that interface, also I am on 8095.
I was playing around with it a bit more and I found the solution! When I enabled ipv6 unicast-routing globally, it automatically configures the switch to send router advertisements on all interfaces

So i ran

conf t
int ve 100
ipv6 nd suppress-ra

under my ve 100 interface, and now the problem I had with hosts not being able to communicate with other hosts over IPv6 is solved, it works now. I'm not sure why this solves it though