ZS1406E2VJUG5 and the ROMED8-2T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wings

Mar 2, 2021
Hi,

I have the ZS1406E2VJUG5 processor and am needing a compatible board. I have three ROMED8-2T boards but I don't think they will work as it's locked to Dell boards. Does anyone know what board I need, or is anyone willing to work with me to bios mod a ROMED8-2T to work with it?

Cheers

boomheadshot

Mar 20, 2021
Well, if they're Dell locked, they're Dell locked, or else people on here would have figured out a workaround. If I remember correctly, when the CPU is turned on for the first time on a Dell board, a fuse on the CPU gets "blown" and after that the CPU can only work in Dell-branded mobos. It can work in other mobo's, but they have to be Dell (and compatible with said CPU). So, IDK what you can do, man.

wings

Mar 2, 2021
Sorry, one is Dell one is HP.

Supposedly the locked ES chips can work on any bios that has been sufficiently edited but there's a fabled two boards -

H11SSL v2.0 + + ASUS KRPA-U16 flashed with bios 0302 (per someone else's thread about the same issue apparently)

which seem to work well and are not technically dell/HP boards.

boomheadshot

Mar 20, 2021
Sorry, one is Dell one is HP.

Supposedly the locked ES chips can work on any bios that has been sufficiently edited but there's a fabled two boards -

H11SSL v2.0 + + ASUS KRPA-U16 flashed with bios 0302 (per someone else's thread about the same issue apparently)

which seem to work well and are not technically dell/HP boards.

Those ES chips are usually pulled from HP systems and are not vendor-locked (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). I'm pretty sure that it looks the CPU on a hardware level. If one of your CPU's isn't vendor-locked, then yes, you have to modify the BIOS, but no one is going to baby-sit you through the process (I'm a complete noob and had to just dig through the threads here on STH to rely on any advice).

wings

Mar 2, 2021
I've had a look, I'm not after spoon feeding and I'm not a stranger to fairly complex mods. I just have come up empty when I've tried to figure out how. If it's not a vendor lock issue and I could use the ROMED8-2T I'd love to just do that rather than buying a specific board.

If it's easy enough to do based on existing threads I'll go have a proper go.

boomheadshot

Mar 20, 2021
I've had a look, I'm not after spoon feeding and I'm not a stranger to fairly complex mods. I just have come up empty when I've tried to figure out how. If it's not a vendor lock issue and I could use the ROMED8-2T I'd love to just do that rather than buying a specific board.

If it's easy enough to do based on existing threads I'll go have a proper go.
Your only choice is to flash a modded bios that ExecutableFix posted on his Rome Overclocking Thread, mod the BIOS yourself or try to flash an early BIOS. IPMI hasn't been consistent for downgrading, so try flashing the BIOS externally (I did it with a CH341A).

Zhang

Sep 18, 2018
I doubt an ES works on ROMED8-2T because of the AGESA (part of the BIOS) requirements. These ES chips require AGESA version <=1.0.0.2, but the AGESA on this board is much newer. So unless someone finds a very early BIOS revision or a workaround for newer AGESA, ES chips are not supported by this board. Maybe you can try to contact AsRock support and see if they can share an early BIOS (with AGESA <=1.0.0.2) with you.

Last edited:

wings

Mar 2, 2021
I doubt an ES works on ROMED8-2T because of the AGESA (part of the BIOS) requirements. These ES chips require AGESA version <=1.0.0.2, but the AGESA on this board is much newer. So unless someone finds a very early BIOS revision or a workaround for newer AGESA, ES chips are not supported by this board. Maybe you can try to contact AsRock support and see if they can share an early BIOS (with AGESA <=1.0.0.2) with you.
That's a good point but I have read some posts here claiming to have it on AGESA 1.0.0.3 which you can get, and someone claims to be using a ROMED8-2T... I've already DM'ed those people.

Reactions: Zhang

Zhang

Sep 18, 2018
That's a good point but I have read some posts here claiming to have it on AGESA 1.0.0.3 which you can get, and someone claims to be using a ROMED8-2T... I've already DM'ed those people.
AGESA 1.0.0.3 might work. Do you have a BIOS with 1.0.0.3 though? I just checked on ASRock website and the earliest public BIOS (v1.10) has AGESA 1.0.0.6.

wings

Mar 2, 2021
Could have sworn there was one, damn. But they were using the lab bios 3.11 and claiming success...

Zhang

Sep 18, 2018
Could have sworn there was one, damn. But they were using the lab bios 3.11 and claiming success...
Yeah, I think it all depends on the BIOS, so if we can find the lab bios with early AGESA the ES CPU should work.

wings

Mar 2, 2021
Ohhhh. They were using a 7502 ES, not this chip. Drat. Well, I was happy to get a different mobo anyways, if needed. I'll be throwing some more traditional Epycs in here or getting a later ES if I get brave enough.

Zhang

Sep 18, 2018
Ohhhh. They were using a 7502 ES, not this chip. Drat. Well, I was happy to get a different mobo anyways, if needed. I'll be throwing some more traditional Epycs in here or getting a later ES if I get brave enough.
Were they using a BIOS with early AGESA (e.g., a lab BIOS)? If it was a lab bios and you can get the BIOS from them, the board is still worth trying.

wings

Mar 2, 2021
Nah, their lab bios was the one on the beta page publicly available. I think the 7502 is simply a later generation chip even as an ES so it works for them. I'll still have a play to learn, but yeah.

wings

Mar 2, 2021
I got the chip running on H11SSL-i v2.0 using the custom BIOS found in a certain thread. Thrilled!

Had to stick IPMI on and flash the custom BIOS before it would POST.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
I got the chip running on H11SSL-i v2.0 using the custom BIOS found in a certain thread. Thrilled!

Had to stick IPMI on and flash the custom BIOS before it would POST.
congratz, what about the dell locked chip?
HP does not lock CPUs, so that isn't surprising.

In terms of mods to circumvent PSB, as far as i know, that was not done yet.
Practically, the only thing you need to have for it, is Code-Exec on the PSP to change or remove the corresponding parts of the FW or modify the HSTI API thingy.

Everything theoretically possible, not straight forward and a lot of work to figure out where, what needs to be changed.

wings

Mar 2, 2021
Neither the 32c nor 64c Epyc were vendor locked, thankfully. I could be wrong but I don't think the ES chips can be vendor locked?

Either way, both booted on the H11SSL-I.

Reactions: RageBone