ZoL Snapshots / Replication help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Hi all - I recently moved my docker volumes over to a SSD Mirrored VDEV and am trying to sort out my backup strategy.

My thought here is to use ZFS Snapshots/Replication to backup to a different ZFS Pool on the same system.
I use Crashplan to backup the backup to the cloud.

So I am using Napp-it on Ubuntu 19.04 and was just going to setup an auto snap job, but I need to run a pre/post script to stop all my containers and then start them again once the snap is completed.

Is there a way to do that via Napp-it or should i just setup a cron job?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Not related to your question, sorry, - but how is Napp-It working on Linux? Any issues?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Napp-it autosnap supports pre/post scripts, mainly to add hot restorable ESXi snaps. If you enable pre/post scripts when you create a snap job, a shell script /var/web-gui/_log/jobs/jobid.pre and /var/web-gui/_log/jobs/jobid.post is executed prior or post a snap job (must create them manually)

That said, I have never used this on Linux as my OS of choice is OmniOS/OI and Solaris.

Reactions: nitrobass24

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Not related to your question, sorry, - but how is Napp-It working on Linux? Any issues?
ZFS is working well.

I tend to get some errors with Napp-it after a few hours and I have to restart it. I haven’t really spent any time trying to troubleshoot it though. Seems to be permissions related based on a cursory view but odd that it works for a while.

Not a big deal since I do not need the UI running all the time.

Edit: I almost forgot but the one issue I did have is Napp-it did not see any of my NVMe devices, so I created my pool on the CLI. Pool shows up in Napp-it fine after it was created.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Napp-it autosnap supports pre/post scripts, mainly to add hot restorable ESXi snaps. If you enable pre/post scripts when you create a snap job, a shell script /var/web-gui/_log/jobs/jobid.pre and /var/web-gui/_log/jobs/jobid.post is executed prior or post a snap job (must create them manually)

That said, I have never used this on Linux as my OS of choice is OmniOS/OI and Solaris.
Thanks I didn’t realize that it could be used for anything other than ESXi. Might be the cleanest option.