ZLOG Benchmark is coming

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
even old hardware when used for the right use case scenario can perform equally or better than newer hardware.

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
I wonder if this will run on ZoL?

We have a huge set of drives we could run this on...

Very focused on CPU at the moment but could be fun.
That would be a Mythbuster article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If anyone can script this test... especially with Ubuntu, I will get a system setup and get someone to start running through drives. (@Patriot might be a fun project if you think this is scriptable.)

Reactions: Stux

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
I have the binary for FreeBSD 11 (perhaps FreeNAS too) here

To use it you only have to do this:

Code:
sudo sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16
sudo ./diskinfo -vSw /dev/ada2
BEWARE THAT THIS MAY DESTROY DATA ON THAT DEVICE

Compiling this for Linux is more work, as this utility use FreeBSD system libraries. I would probably need to spend days for that as I'm no C developer, my strength is Java.

Attachments

Reactions: Stux

5mall5nail5

Nov 16, 2015
I wonder if this will run on ZoL?

We have a huge set of drives we could run this on...

Very focused on CPU at the moment but could be fun.
I just built out two 400+TB boxes running ZoL (Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS) with P3700's as SLOG, and while it's fast, and IOPs seem decent, I don't feel like it's performing as well as it should given the ratings on the NVMe devices used for SLOG. I wonder if it's related to this.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@5mall5nail5 what ZFS version are you using? I am having a timeout issue trying to get Ubuntu + ZoL 0.7.1 working.

handruin

May 24, 2015
I have an interest in this for ZoL as well. I'll see what I can dig up and find about porting this but time is a little tight right now for me also.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have an interest in this for ZoL as well. I'll see what I can dig up and find about porting this but time is a little tight right now for me also.
If you want to do the legwork on ZoL... and wanted to use ZoL 0.7.0 or 0.7.1... happy to setup a system with a Denverton board in the DemoEval lab.

handruin

May 24, 2015
That could be helpful, thanks! What might also be helpful for sanity testing is if there is more than one vendor of SSD to test with to see if the results differ like in the freeBSD code example. At home I have maybe two models, both from Samsung (850 pro and SV843) that I can test against but it's a limited sample. At work I have Toshiba PX05SMB160Y 1.5TB SAS but our zfs version is older (6.3-81). I'll target Ubuntu as the distro since it seems we both use that.

edit: before you do anything though, I need some time to sort through and see if this is something I can get done in a reasonable time. I don't want to get your hopes up.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
edit: before you do anything though, I need some time to sort through and see if this is something I can get done in a reasonable time. I don't want to get your hopes up.
No problem on heterogeneous drives. Keep me posted.