Zfsguru NFS share auth by krb5

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kendrick

Dec 23, 2012
Has any one gotten this to work? I am new to krb5 and haven't been able to figure out what is wrong. is there any good tutorial out there that explains all steps clearly? I would not be suprised if it was something like not getting the keytabs correct.

any thoughts would be appriciated.
Ken

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Ken - the hard thing here is that ZFSguru is still a smaller platform. It was active here a few years ago but the author want away for awhile.

sub.mesa

Dec 28, 2010
Just for a few months. ;-)

I'm working very hard on ZFSguru today. Past half year I modernised the system architecture side of ZFSguru, with new system images and addon service packages with a better infrastructure. But today the focus is shifting back to the web-interface and probably in december I can release the next version sporting really easy Samba permission handling through drag-and-drop interface. But there is more work in the pipeline which will get released either end of the year or early 2014. It probably will make ZFSguru by far the easiest ZFS platform to operate.

I'd say even today ZFSguru is probably the easiest ZFS platform. But it is not finished and lacks many advanced features the more mature FreeNAS and NAS4Free distributions do offer. That said, ZFSguru has a unique architecture and doesn't use nanoBSD or other frameworks. This allows for more flexibility and unique features like Root-on-ZFS and many others. So the platforms NAS4Free and FreeNAS are much more mature and have more features, but also lack features unique to ZFSguru.

The good thing is that you can switch ZFS platforms if you so desire. So just pick your favourite ZFS platform and stick with it until you desire something else or run into a problem. The most important thing is that people shouldn't be afraid to run ZFS; it is by far the best method of data storage available to us. And it can be very easy; just pick your favorite ZFS distro!

Cheers,
Jason

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just for a few months. ;-)

I'm working very hard on ZFSguru today. Past half year I modernised the system architecture side of ZFSguru, with new system images and addon service packages with a better infrastructure. But today the focus is shifting back to the web-interface and probably in december I can release the next version sporting really easy Samba permission handling through drag-and-drop interface. But there is more work in the pipeline which will get released either end of the year or early 2014. It probably will make ZFSguru by far the easiest ZFS platform to operate.

I'd say even today ZFSguru is probably the easiest ZFS platform. But it is not finished and lacks many advanced features the more mature FreeNAS and NAS4Free distributions do offer. That said, ZFSguru has a unique architecture and doesn't use nanoBSD or other frameworks. This allows for more flexibility and unique features like Root-on-ZFS and many others. So the platforms NAS4Free and FreeNAS are much more mature and have more features, but also lack features unique to ZFSguru.

The good thing is that you can switch ZFS platforms if you so desire. So just pick your favourite ZFS platform and stick with it until you desire something else or run into a problem. The most important thing is that people shouldn't be afraid to run ZFS; it is by far the best method of data storage available to us. And it can be very easy; just pick your favorite ZFS distro!

Cheers,
Jason
Welcome (back) to the forums. Good to see you are working on ZFSguru!

sub.mesa

Dec 28, 2010
Hi Patrick!

Yes it is nice to be back. Good to see your site is progressing as well! It looks much better and the reviews and info are really great. I keep recommending your site to people wanting advice on things like flashing LSI controllers and ZFS builds in general.

Hope to post here more often, especially after I released all the ZFSguru stuff. I've got one request however.... would it be possible to change the name of the forum ZFSGuru to ZFSguru? :)

Cheers,
Jason