ZFS + privledged Docker?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
This is starting out as a purely academic way for me to learn a bit more about both docker and ZFS. But the goal is, since when you ZFS export the info about your pools etc is stored on the drives that made them, one should be able to create a docker container that is passed the raw disks and serves the volumes, and shares, etc., all transparent from the host more or less.

Not sure what if any added benefits this will bring but why not.

Has anyone else tried this, and if so, what did you learn?

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I would use mount and pass the directory instead serve the volume via iscsi .... one less layer and better performance.... that just me and this way actually makes that docker setup less "rapid deployment" and also universal env deployment to anywhere (it would be a more specific host env )

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
Triton (SmartOS/Manta) from joyent already does this via lofi mounts but also can be done with ZFS delegation to the VM. You spin up the compute where the data is stored in the DC instead of having to transfer or iscsi mount volumes.