ZFS on Linux 0.8.0 released!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Looks like a lot of features and enhancements in this one:

zfsonlinux/zfs

direct I/O no longer gives an error:

$ dd status=progress if=/dev/zero of=speedtest.out bs=1M count=10240 oflag=direct
8667529216 bytes (8.7 GB, 8.1 GiB) copied, 5 s, 1.7 GB/s
10240+0 records in
10240+0 records out
10737418240 bytes (11 GB, 10 GiB) copied, 5.67395 s, 1.9 GB/s

in addition:

+ native encryption (AES-256-CCM)
+ device removal
+ pool checkpoints
+ TRIM for SSDs
+ pyzfs for Python interface
+ allocation classes
+ QAT acceleration
... and more...

trying it out on my workstation first before I even try it on my servers. must upgrade existing pools after a reboot to enable the new features.

Brian Puccio

Jul 26, 2014
Scrubbing and resilvering is supposedly significantly faster now. Trying to dig up some numbers on the performance boost.

optimans

Feb 20, 2015
Just be weary that the latest kernel updates 4.14.x, 4.19.x, 5.x no longer have SIMD acceleration.

NixOS has a patch for it; wonder if any other distro's will do the same.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
What about sync write speeds? Thats *the* one thing keeping me from looking into ZoL at this time...

elag

Dec 1, 2018
I now have a 6disk RAIDZ2 on Freebsd 12. Is this the right moment to move to ZOL on Centos 7? Will I be able to import the existig pool? If so I was thinking of giving it a try. The reason for the move would be: on-board support for freeipa integration for NFSv4 as well as standardization on a single platform. Will this work?

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
+ device removal
I was confused on this point (Can't we already remove/replace faulty drives?), so I clicked the link and read up.
  • Device removal #6900 - This feature allows single and mirrored top-level devices to be removed from the storage pool with zpool remove. All data is copied in the background to the remaining top-level devices and the pool capacity is reduced accordingly.
If I'm understanding it correctly, we can now non-destructively shrink pools. If so, that's incredible!

Playing with it now on my backup server. It looks like it's still in testing for RHEL/CentOS:
Code:
yum --enablerepo=zfs-testing install kernel-devel zfs
edit: Looks like you'll need to reboot after the install in order to upgrade the pools.
Code:
[root@backup ~]# zpool upgrade
This system supports ZFS pool feature flags.

All pools are formatted using feature flags.

Some supported features are not enabled on the following pools. Once a
feature is enabled the pool may become incompatible with software
that does not support the feature. See zpool-features(5) for details.

POOL  FEATURE
---------------
backup
      encryption
      project_quota
      device_removal
      obsolete_counts
      zpool_checkpoint
      spacemap_v2
      allocation_classes
      resilver_defer

[root@backup ~]# zpool upgrade backup
This system supports ZFS pool feature flags.

cannot set property for 'backup': invalid feature 'encryption'
edit2: Oh, boo. "Top level devices" means vdevs. I can't remove a single disk from a pair of raidz3s.

Last edited:

kroy

May 17, 2019
I was confused on this point (Can't we already remove/replace faulty drives?), so I clicked the link and read up.
  • Device removal #6900 - This feature allows single and mirrored top-level devices to be removed from the storage pool with zpool remove. All data is copied in the background to the remaining top-level devices and the pool capacity is reduced accordingly.

edit2: Oh, boo. "Top level devices" means vdevs. I can't remove a single disk from a pair of raidz3s.
I've actually been using this for a while (moved a very large pool from OmniOS CE when it got this ability last year).

I laid out a bunch of tests that should make it clear here

Reactions: TeeJayHoward