ZFS + OI - Lost iSCSI LU after upgrade of VMWARE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Status
Not open for further replies.

superted125

May 19, 2012
Hi guys,

I'll try and describe my situation as best as possible and hopefully you guys may know how to help me!
Sorry in advance for the long post...

So, my Homeserver was running ESXi 4.1 with an OpenIndiana VM on it. It has 8x 2TB drives which are in a RAID-2Z array in OI. (Using Napp-It to admin)
I recently upgraded the two 2.5" drives that had the hypervisor and the VMs on them so that they were in a RAID1 array for some redundancy, however while doing this, I had to wipe both drives and so I had copied off the VMs onto another computer.

I decided to upgrade to the latest ESXi 5 while I was doing the maintenance.

Once I had copied the VMs back into the datastore etc etc, I booted up OI and my pool was showing as faulted and all 8 drives were showing as having corrupted data. After a quick google, I found that this was most likely due to the IDs of the drives changing, probably due to the Virtual Hardware changing with the upgrade. While I was not able to fix that directly, the working pool as available to import (even though i hadn't - and should have - exported it before hand).

So I imported the pool and it is appearing online and with no faults. All good.

However, where I am stuck at now, is that I was previously sharing the volume via iSCSI to a Windows VM on the same server. My problem is that after all the importing etc, the Logical Unit had disappeared from COMSTAR and wasn't able to be found to import. I've been using all my google-fu and haven't had any luck. I also tried importing from a snapshot taken before the server was taken offline. (You may have noticed that I am now just trying things in the hope that they would work -_-). However i get this error: "Error importing stmfadm: meta file error zfs comstar".

If I share the zfs volume via SMB I can see it on my windows machine and there is one file called Media (The name of the LU) on it. So I can see the data is still there and the zpool shows as only having 15% free (which is correct).

So how can i somehow get COMSTAR to find this LU so that I can add it to a view again?

Hopefully that makes a bit of sense. I'm very confused and am quite the n00b with some of this stuff..

Cheers

superted125

May 19, 2012
If it was a file-based LU:
stmfadm import-lu file

example
stmfadm import-lu /backup/lu1
It took me a couple of gos to actually find the file, but you sir ARE A GOD!

Thank you SO MUCH!!

Ahh.. seriously thank you lol, I've been stuck on that for some time... and it's always a simple fix (which im sure i already tried!).

Status
Not open for further replies.