ZFS needs Backup!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
The first time in 10 years where I use ZFS i need a backup today!
In all other cases, a restore from snaps was possible to recover lost/ erased/ modified data.

We have had a longer power outage in the whole part of our town. Despite flash protection a psu, a mainboard and some disks were damaged. One pool build from a 3way mirror (Samsung Datacenter SM 863) made problems. Does not matter what disk we tried - even with the import option -F that skips last transactions and even with the newest OmniOS with its advanced repair options the OS crashed during import.

No problem as I have a online backup (one per day with snap versioning) and even offline backups (the server is powered only for backup and otherwise disconnected with a SPF+ fiber connectivity). Reminds me, that on a real disaster you need a separate backup - even with a 3way mirror with a propability of a data loss near zero.

Last edited:

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
The more copies of your data you have around the better I say.
I have ZFS backup pool, external USB HDD x 2 and online backups as a just in case :)

Reactions: anaxagoras

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
ZFS has reached a security level (when done rightly) that a dataloss seems nearly impossible. But this is similar to an atomic plant where a maximum credible accident is not within expectation - although it happened in the USSR, Tschernobyl, Japan and nearly the US

So even with ZFS you must be prepared for a disaster - (flash, theft, fire or a power outage with over voltage). Daily problems are covered by ZFS.

Last edited: