ZFS import freeze after deleting a ZVOL that was exported via ISCSI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

firefox2501

Apr 17, 2011
First time posting here and I hope someone can help.

I am using FreeNAS 7.2 Embedded AMD64 (ZFS version 13)

I was using a (command line created) 1.5TB ZVOL which I used the Web GUI to export as an ISCSI target. This worked flawlessly for several months.

Now, that ISCSI target is no longer required. So I removed the ISCSI target, extend, and initiator group via the web GUI. No problems so far.

However, when I tried to use "zfs destroy <zvol path>", the command never finished - after 4 hours. The system stopped responding as well. I could not check the logs due to the lack of responsiveness.

Now, I cannot get that ZPOOL to work. I have tried importing the ZPOOL using the installed system (FreeNAS 7.2 embedded), a FreeNAS 7.2 LiveCD, and a ZFSGuru 0.1.5 LiveCD. The command "zpool import tank" starts, but never completes.

On another console, I can run "zpool status -v tank" which shows that all of the drives are online, with no data errors. (The SMART status for all drives is also showing them as operational). But "zfs list" hangs and does not show any of the datasets.

On the ZFSGuru LiveCD, the only entry in "/var/logs/messages" is this:
"kernel: GEOM: zvol/tank/iscsivolumes/freya00: partition 1 does not start on a track boundary" - this zvol is not the zvol I tried to remove. But it does not have anything important on it so it can be removed if needed.

I would rather not do a "zfs upgrade" to a newer ZFS version because I would like to go back to using FreeNAS 7.2 (ZFS version 13). However, if I need to in order to get the data accessible again, I can.

Any ideas on why the "zfs import" is not completing or why "zfs list" hangs? Any other areas that I can troubleshoot?

If more information is needed, please let me know.

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:

firefox2501

Apr 17, 2011
Looks like patience is a virtue that I should have exercised.

The "zpool import" command finally completed after 2 1/2 hours. I did a "zpool scrub" to make sure it was consistent - and it passed with no errors.

Everything appears to be working normally now.

Last edited: