ZFS + Hyper-V + ? how to best expose storage to windows host

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
So I have a win10 host with 2 6TB drives in a zfs mirror on a hyper-v VM that I want to then expose back to the host because games are filling up my 1TB SSD

I thought about SMB and then also iSCSI but am not sure of the perf and was hoping to get some feedback on what approach one would take

Is there some horrible bug that I should know about? I guess I could just try one approach and if it's too slow try the other and if not pivot and just get a bigger SSD -- but this way is cheaper and uses the hardware I have and I am okay with even doubling my game load times since they would be coming off of the spinning rust -- to that end would adding a SSD cache to the pool help? (I'd just carve off a file or something from my host ssd and add that to the VM and then to the pool)

any suggestions would be welcome

Last edited:

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I’ve gotten good perf with samba but blizzards installer doesn’t like the mapped drive. steam doesn’t care.
I might have to go with iscsi for the blizzard world in that I could make it look like a local drive

I did find a guide on how to maybe mount a virtual disk from the zfs VM ...

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Reactions: gigatexal

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
you might just be my hero! first a great deal on drives and now this :)

edit: I would not have found this but alas it does not work -- there's go to be some sort of check that the blizzard installer does to check where things are being written to

edit #2: I didn’t unmount the drives so now windows is in a loop: hyper V needs to start to mount expose the drives but windows is expecting the drives ...

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
hope you fixed your boot loop?

I used it as follows
network mount drive \\share -> z
psubst y->z
Install on Y

That did not work?

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
hope you fixed your boot loop?

I used it as follows
network mount drive \\share -> z
psubst y->z
Install on Y

That did not work?
It didn’t but no worry I wanted to go back to Linux anyway as it simplifies my setup without having to run a VM and then back to the host

so back to 18.04 LTS for me until 20.04 get its ZFS on root all polished