ZFS eating RAM?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Albert Yang

Oct 26, 2017
Hi,
I was wondering if someone else has had this issue before, currently running proxmox 5.0 with 5VMS
Im not sure if i just implement the arc size? All the VMS also have ballooning
something like
Code:
# Min 2048MB / Max 4096 MB Limit
options zfs zfs_arc_min=2147483648
options zfs zfs_arc_max=4294967296
VMs--
pfsense ---1gigs of ram
windows Server ad/dc---4gigs of ram
Wordpress ubuntu 14.04----600mb of ram
postfix ubuntu 14.04--1gig of ram
scrolloutf1 debian 8----1.4 gigs of ram

What happens it peaks so odd and today proxmox just stopped working got an error a reboot fixed the issue
Code:
/proc/sys/kernal/hung_task_timeout_secs

failed to start journal service
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thank you

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Hey I'm saying this in a constructive way, but any chance to upgrade to 32gb? ZFS does eat available RAM and when you've got ballooning VM's I can easily see 16GB getting shredded. I'd normally tell someone software tuning is the option but this looks like it's one to fix by adding more RAM.

Reactions: cperalt1

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
ZFS does love RAM, all that you can throw at it. I'd kill the ballooning and restrict your VM's to maybe 8GB total (general consensis is 8GB minimum keeps ZFS happy), wordpress, postfix, and scrollout can be containerized too, reducing the load further (LXC native / docker).

If you don't need need (like really need) the group policy stuff in AD you can probably get by with Samba4 as your DC/LDAP requirements which will massively reduce your RAM load as well, all >Win7 systems will be able to join that as a domain.

I'd actually increase your pfSense up to 1.5-2Gb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Albert Yang

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
ZFS does love RAM, all that you can throw at it. I'd kill the ballooning and restrict your VM's to maybe 8GB total (general consensis is 8GB minimum keeps ZFS happy), wordpress, postfix, and scrollout can be containerized too, reducing the load further (LXC native / docker).

If you don't need need (like really need) the group policy stuff in AD you can probably get by with Samba4 as your DC/LDAP requirements which will massively reduce your RAM load as well, all >Win7 systems will be able to join that as a domain.

I'd actually increase your pfSense up to 1.5-2Gb.
Can u elaborate how to implement samba4 as a VM as you described?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Can u elaborate how to implement samba4 as a VM as you described?
Pull up a Ubuntu (or any flavour that you love) VM, install the latest samba and configure it as the DC. Tonnes of online tutorials on it (though might be a good one for @Patrick to have replicated here as a resource). You could even have the docker containers on this one VM too if you wanted and just give the thing 4GB RAM to allocate as it desires.

If you're worried about taking the system offline and your domain going down, throw together a $40 raspberry pi as a failover/slave which will happily do the job until the main system is back online.

Albert Yang

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the replies, the key was to disable Ballooning service on all the Vm now proxmox host is a steady 50-60% but what sucks is that on the webGUI on proxmox does not show the right RAM for the VM only on windows, because on linux does show the correct ram usage