ZFS CPU needs in openindiana

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smellyeagle

Jul 26, 2012
I have a 12TB raidz2 array that will service roughly 100 people during the day. I've allocated 18GB of RAM to oi.

With new CPUs, are two cores enough with lzjb compression enabled? Most of the traffic is going to be compressed jpegs and less than a dozen vm images. Does oi still have problems with more than 2 cores?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I have a 12TB raidz2 array that will service roughly 100 people during the day. I've allocated 18GB of RAM to oi.

With new CPUs, are two cores enough with lzjb compression enabled? Most of the traffic is going to be compressed jpegs and less than a dozen vm images. Does oi still have problems with more than 2 cores?
With ESXi5 you can assign more vCores to your virtualized SAN. With ESXi 4 you should assign only one or max two vCPU. (This is a ESXi problem, not an OI problem). But that should not affect performance too much because ESXi handles the load very well.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
With ESXi5 you can assign more vCores to your virtualized SAN. With ESXi 4 you should assign only one or max two vCPU. (This is a ESXi problem, not an OI problem). But that should not affect performance too much because ESXi handles the load very well.
Good to know gea

wkearney99

Aug 3, 2012
So what if I'm running OI on a dual processor Xeon setup? 2 CPUs, 4 cores each, in ESXi 5? Any suggestions on how what to use for number of vCPU and vCores with an OI setup? It'll mostly be handling CIFS shares.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
So what if I'm running OI on a dual processor Xeon setup? 2 CPUs, 4 cores each, in ESXi 5? Any suggestions on how what to use for number of vCPU and vCores with an OI setup? It'll mostly be handling CIFS shares.
If you do not use encryption, CPU is not as important.
use one cpu with 1 or two cores and check ESXi CPU load.

RAM is much more important for good performance because it is used as read-cache to deliver most read requests from RAM