ZeusRam -- Many available w/BEST OFFER!!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
I hear a lot of talk around here about these, but what are the use cases? They are apparently VERY fast, but tiny, 8GB? Isn't it too small for something like a L2ARC? What are they good for?

I'm not being condescending, just genuinely curious

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
My offer of 200$ was autodeclined :p

Wonder how low they would go. Doubt anywhere close to what I would be willing to pay though.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
LOL! I'll take them all at $200 :D

I'd imagine $1400-1600, but that's just a guess :D

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
i got counteroffered at $1900
You are all more than welcome to my lightly used ZeusRAM for the low low price of $1350 :-D (fire sale...EVERYTHING MUST GO haha j/k) or trade for items I am interested in in my FT thread.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
LOL! I'll take them all at $200 :D

I'd imagine $1400-1600, but that's just a guess :D
Yeah there's NO WAY someone is gonna let those devices go for $200 unless they just don't know what it is (/read fell of the back of a truck or acquired by other unsavory means). I'd be shocked if anyone has sources/access to these at anything sub-$1K.

I really am torn if I wanna get rid of mine or not still, it's been an absolute lifesaver for me to deliver excellent performance across a small disk set (6 way stripped mirror w/ l2arc/zil) and this device is the 'kick butt and take names/pick up the slack' for the pool that I run 50-60 VM's off of regularily. Try doing that off 6 disks in similar config w/out a sustained low-latency DRAM-like performance ZIL device and you will hang your head quite depressed...that's IF you can even get all those VM's booted :-D

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
ifI had some spare 800s i'd trade ya already :D
Well it may be avail for a bit as is the case at times w/ high dollar gear/items. I'm not in a hurry but I am starting to pickup interest in PM's, I know you go through gear like no other so there's still hope that you may line up some of those Intel/Toshiba/HGST ent drives that I am interested in and get my ZeusRAM yet! :-D

$$$ talks of course as well! HAHA j/k

~take care all

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
1 seller who had 8 more 800gb for me is not replying to my e-mail, I got 2 from him last time and they were <100GB writes!! If I can get more from him I'll PM you.

Although with a single user ESXI AIO I don't even think I'll come close to needing the random write capacity of the zeus but it sure would be awesome :)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
LOL, whatta ya mean MORE POWER/BIGGER TOYS IS ALWAYS BETTER hah. Are you tellin' me you have a ESXi AIO w/ only 1 VM running on it or do you at least have a handful of VM's running on it? If it's just a small handful 5-10 running off a s3700 or similar performing drive will be fine for you, if ya wanna leverage rust buckets AND pair that Zeusie w/ it your gonna smile ear to ear but I think you already know this.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Nah, AIO meaning it does my whole house duty right now minus the DB DEV server. But it's only myself and my wife, and we're not big on TV or streaming (maybe watch 1hr at night with my wife), can't transcode from internet (too slow of connection), so it's just for video/security, and test/development, and storage. It's running 2x 8Cores, and Fusion IO, so the ZEUS is an upgrade, but for single person I'm not saturating the random IOs of the Fusion even :) I think it has 192gb of RAM too, so I don't have an L2ARC but could stick another Fusion in there.

It's a work in progress as I keep swapping parts :D and upgrading.

Once I test the E5-1650 v3 to the VM DB I'll know if it's worth keeping it separate or not. It will be slower, but I'm not sure to what degree yet :) The 1650 has 128gb of DDR4 in it, so the higher frequency of the RAM + CPU > than the 8Cores... but for dev. I'm not sure I care that much :D

Reactions: whitey

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Nah, AIO meaning it does my whole house duty right now minus the DB DEV server. But it's only myself and my wife, and we're not big on TV or streaming (maybe watch 1hr at night with my wife), can't transcode from internet (too slow of connection), so it's just for video/security, and test/development, and storage. It's running 2x 8Cores, and Fusion IO, so the ZEUS is an upgrade, but for single person I'm not saturating the random IOs of the Fusion even :) I think it has 192gb of RAM too, so I don't have an L2ARC but could stick another Fusion in there.

It's a work in progress as I keep swapping parts :D and upgrading.

Once I test the E5-1650 v3 to the VM DB I'll know if it's worth keeping it separate or not. It will be slower, but I'm not sure to what degree yet :) The 1650 has 128gb of DDR4 in it, so the higher frequency of the RAM + CPU > than the 8Cores... but for dev. I'm not sure I care that much :D
VERY nice, just speced some replacement VDI vSphere hosts for my buddy (E5-2600-V3), 256 GB ram out the gate on a 4 node setup. His CC hurt that day :-D

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Yeah, the DDR4 isn't too nice on the wallet, but better than the $190 we were paying 3 months ago!!!

I was going to do 2 more ESXI hosts with my license/trials on v3 but decided to use them as baremetal processing servers (all minimum 20 cores each). I'll probably sell the motherboards, and get a 4Node NVME 2011v3 chassis :) Provantage quoted me out on those and some NVME drives I'm hoping for later this fall.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yeah, the DDR4 isn't too nice on the wallet, but better than the $190 we were paying 3 months ago!!!

I was going to do 2 more ESXI hosts with my license/trials on v3 but decided to use them as baremetal processing servers (all minimum 20 cores each). I'll probably sell the motherboards, and get a 4Node NVME 2011v3 chassis :) Provantage quoted me out on those and some NVME drives I'm hoping for later this fall.
NO kidding, 13K later for those 4 hosts @ $400 32 GB samsung dimms.