ZeusIops ssd's on teh cheap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
There is also ZeusRam on there for $1900 iirc. probably get them for $1400-1500.
Wish I had the need or cash sitting around to grab some of those LOL!!

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yessir, there was one for $1500 I posted a few weeks back in here that I believe went unsold/unbid on. You all know mine is up on the chop block as of last night...kinda sad...kinda excited for where I am headed...someones gonna be happy w/ it if we can make a deal somehow.

Reactions: T_Minus

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Hi,
Im a bit confused by the ebay listing in the OP, are these normal Enterprise SSDs (but with much better than normal RW IOPS and high write endurance?).

IE: could i use them on a HW raid card just like im doing with my 4x intel 710 SSDs? Also why does it say 200gb / 4gb (Is the 4gb a cache maybe, but the drive is in fact 200gb capacity). I couldn't find any spec sheets based upon the part number (i guess its a EMC part no).

and btw this seems to be the same item, but at 195$ also avialbul in high quanity:

EMC CX FC04 200 200GB 4GB STEC GEN3 SSD HDD with VMAX Tray 005049128 Tested | eBay

thanks!

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Just tried your trick as well, I had 3x in for $125 last night, sat on it for a few hrs, then retracted as I thought 'sure would be nice to be 2.5 format', I'll make the 3.5's work somewhere, good ZIL devices my buddy tells me.

Hope mine sticks like your's did. Didn't wanna offend/offer any lower to test my luck.

OHH CRAP, if that's 4 GB FC conn and not sas I gotta go cancel. DAMMIT!

Thx for the heads up Hank! Makes sense now, shame they do not show that jank FC conn on the back in the pictures or even list connectivity/interface. A quick search yielded not much either...kinda buried/hidden for sure.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Might well be. Will find out when they arrive! May be worth holding off on these.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I dunno if this redeems that curveball I threw everyone today but if you're looking for a decent ZIL w/out breaking the bank this may be a good option.

Sun Oracle 18GB SSD SATA 540 7754 Hard Disk Drive 371 4192 Z16ISD3B 18uc Sun | eBay

Just got one at $85, we'll see how she does. Apparently this was one of SUN's go-to LOG devices before the hostile takeover :-D

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that SUN parts got REAL hard to look stuff up on since the Oracle overlords have stepped in, like whole entire documentation sets GONE!

neo

Mar 18, 2015
I dunno if this redeems that curveball I threw everyone today but if you're looking for a decent ZIL w/out breaking the bank this may be a good option.

Sun Oracle 18GB SSD SATA 540 7754 Hard Disk Drive 371 4192 Z16ISD3B 18uc Sun | eBay

Just got one at $85, we'll see how she does. Apparently this was one of SUN's go-to LOG devices before the hostile takeover :-D

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that SUN parts got REAL hard to look stuff up on since the Oracle overlords have stepped in, like whole entire documentation sets GONE!
Yeah, I trained myself not to order enterprise hardware without seeing a full datasheet - and I can't find much information on that drive besides it being 3.5" and 3 GB/s

Reactions: T_Minus

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
That's what I was eluding to by the hostile Oracle takeover and mysterious vanishing of what used to be pretty damn good documentation sets/sites from Sun Microsystems.

Can't hardly find a dang thing on it but I am willing to take a risk on this one trusting SUN engineering for a decent ZIL device qualification. Surely there's better options out decent write cache logs in ZFS systems but at sub-$100 this may be a steal...hope I am not disappointed, guess that last SUN flash (iodrive looking) PCI-e card someone posted on here a week or two ago didn't pan out too well :-(