Zeus V2 : U-NAS NSC-810A | X10SL7-F | E3-1265 V3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
The Noctua NHL9i is designed for CPUs up to a max of ~65watts. So you'll be at the top end of it's cooling capacity but should be OK. Overall The case is awesome as a NAS case. With the fans set at optimal, the drives are at ~35 degrees and with the Fans set at full, the drives are around ~28-30 degrees. Loaded with (4) 4 TB 7200 RPM HGST NAS drives, (2) WD80EZZX and (2) WD80EZFX drives.

Have been copying data to the system and running StableBit Scanner non stop for the past 5 days and the temperature has not changed.

If it had fit on my shelf it would have been perfect :(

stefan77

Mar 30, 2017
@K D: Thanks a lot for sharing! I just ordered a NSC-810A yesterday. My planned hardware setup is similar (E3 v5). So please allow me to ask some questions:

1. What exact PSU did you use?
I would like to read the exact dimensions on the specs. It seems that the older NSC-800 uses "1U" format, the newer NSC-810A uses FlexATX - and I read another DIY article which stated that a PSU would not fit. So I'd just like to do some checks prior to ordering.

2. max Cooler height?
Is there any information available?

Xicaque

Mar 28, 2017
Olympia
@stefan77,

yes, the NSC 800 uses 1u format. I have two of them that I will be getting rid off. I might put them on offer-up or CG to see who wants them. Like the OP, I completely re-routed all the wiring to my liking. Not a lot of space and I felt like the OP. It is a pain in the rear. The end result is nice but for me, I am kicking myself in the behind for going with these cases. I have made the move to SM cases/chassis. For me, the trade-off is worth it. I also plan on getting a rack in the future as I will add 3 more 4u SM servers.

Sound2005

Feb 28, 2017
pic01.jpg
pic02.jpg
Well my case has finally arrived and im so pleased with it.

Regarding adding a full 1U power supply, i can confirm this doesn't fit.
Please see my pics of my Seasonic SS-500L1U. Will return this for a ss-350M1U flex power supply now.

You can compare the @K D pics to mines to see the size difference of the two psu's.

Reactions: K D

proppa

May 14, 2017
It seems like the NHL9i CPU cooler fits good event with height to spare? It is 37 mm in height, so if there is 1-2 CM more an even bigger CPU cooler would fit?

rfs830

May 16, 2017
KD, what xeon chip did you pick out for your system. Also what Ram did you use. Thank so much for putting this thread up. I was looking at just buying a qnap as my next nas but after running open media vault for lost 5 years i have been very happy with my home built nas. Just wanted to build one that still had a smaller foot print and have 8 bays. My current set up is a Hp microserver nl54.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Adding to what @Churchill opined, I would run from that also.

In this class, Denverton is coming (at some point they tell me) and the 8 core models, if they ever are released, will be awesome for these cases.

This would be a perfect case for a micro-ATX AMD Epyc CPU drop in. Come on @Patrick , see if you can get AMD and ASUS/MSI/SUPERMICRO to send you a mobo combo for a micro-atx NAS/SAN setup!

I'M JUST SAYIN!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
This would be a perfect case for a micro-ATX AMD Epyc CPU drop in. Come on @Patrick , see if you can get AMD and ASUS/MSI/SUPERMICRO to send you a mobo combo for a micro-atx NAS/SAN setup!

I'M JUST SAYIN!
What about Skylake-SP? :)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Adding to what @Churchill opined, I would run from that also.

In this class, Denverton is coming (at some point they tell me) and the 8 core models, if they ever are released, will be awesome for these cases.
Haha, at some point, this is a long wait isn't it !!

Jun 5, 2017
@K D, @Churchill (and any other who may want to weigh in)

I'm looking to build a FreeNAS box with a Supermicro X11SSH Micro-ATX mobo that I have, and this U-NAS 810A box is about the only one that I've found that'll allow for 8 hot-swappable bays, so I wanted to poke your brain about it.

My CPU is an Intel Xeon E3-1240 v6 (Kaby Lake), with a TDP of 72W. If I were to fill the full 8 bays with standard 3.5" platter disks, and eventually install two internal SSDs for ZFS ZIL & L2ARC caching (plus a thumb drive for OS booting), and also eventually install the full 64GB of supported ECC RAM, what PSU & fan would you recommend I get? As for the latter, the Noctua NH-L9i 95mm SSO2 was recommended, but I'm confused because according to Newegg that only supports CPUs up to 65W TDP, but according to Noctua itself it can take a TDP of 91W for Kaby Lake i5.

Also, how do I get U-NAS to toss in some goodies for free like the riser cards and the 2.5" tray when buying the 810A case on their site? I only see a standard cart & check-out flow there...

Thanks in advance for any info!

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I am currently using an E3-1265L v2 with a Noctua NHL9i. Another alternative is the Noctua NH-L9x65 which definitely will handle the 1240V5. Here are the specs from Noctua's website
NH-L9i: TDP Guidelines
NH-L9x65 TDP guidelines

I am using the NH-L9x65 with an E3-1275v6 on a X1SSH-CTF board in a 2U chassis and see no thermal issues. I eventually plan to transplant that board into this case.

I am using a SeaSonic SS-350M1U PSU. I would definitely recommend ordering a 24pin and 8 pin extension cable as well as SATA extension cables if you are not making your own.

I did not know you could get the extras and ended up getting the riser cable elsewhere.

Reactions: Sound2005
Jun 5, 2017
I am currently using an E3-1265L v2 with a Noctua NHL9i. Another alternative is the Noctua NH-L9x65 which definitely will handle the 1240V5. Here are the specs from Noctua's website
NH-L9i: TDP Guidelines
NH-L9x65 TDP guidelines

I am using the NH-L9x65 with an E3-1275v6 on a X1SSH-CTF board in a 2U chassis and see no thermal issues. I eventually plan to transplant that board into this case.

I am using a SeaSonic SS-350M1U PSU. I would definitely recommend ordering a 24pin and 8 pin extension cable as well as SATA extension cables if you are not making your own.

I did not know you could get the extras and ended up getting the riser cable elsewhere.
Thanks for those suggestions! I'll add those extra extension cables to my budget.

Do you have suggestion for the riser cable?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Thanks for those suggestions! I'll add those extra extension cables to my budget.

Do you have suggestion for the riser cable?
I got one while buying a bunch of items. I think if you contact customer service before they ship your order, they will add the riser cable.