Zeus V2 : U-NAS NSC-810A | X10SL7-F | E3-1265 V3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jun 5, 2017
Hi @K D, @EluRex!

Thanks again for the help! I'll give the Noctua cooler a shot, it's got way better reviews both on Amazon & Newegg than the Gelid (and it's only 5 extra bucks, so ;)

About the 55cm-long ATX power cable, what I didn't get is if you had to buy it extra (and if you needed anything else to connect it), or if it's already included with the PSU or something. I'm asking a bit in the dark because I haven't opened my box again since I posted here a couple of days ago after reapplying the thermal paste on my CPU.

Thanks!

Jun 5, 2017
NH-L9x65 will not fit in this case.
Now that's a shame, it looks like quite a decent cooler!

How do I know what's the tallest/biggest cooler that'll fit in the U-NAS 810a? IIRC, I read in this thread that any "low profile" cooler would work with this box, and the NH-L9x65 claims to be "low profile"... but I'll readily admit that I don't know if that's supposed to translate into a well-defined set of dimensions, like the U in a rack, or if it's just some kind an imprecise marketing term.

Jun 5, 2017
I can see that both coolers, Noctua NH-L9x65 & NH-L9i, are a lot bulkier than they seem from Amazon & Newegg pictures (and even Noctua's itself):

But my questions from my previous post still apply, I'm still wondering how do I measure these coolers and how do I reliably know what I can & can't install in this box.

Bebopbebop

Aug 17, 2017
I am using Gelid Slim Silence I-Plus cooler, it has a lot of head room spacing for the cpu fan.

Before ATX power cable rearrange. the back panel is using a 4pin splitter connect to the psu

After rearrangement. The ATX power cable is direct from the PSU itself.

The splitter cable removed

Sorry to bother you in two spots. I found this thread, but it looks like the pictures are no longer available. Trying to understand / replicate what you did with the Molex connectors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bebopbebop

Aug 17, 2017
Hi K D,

I'm trying to get mine out together now and had two questions:

The red Molex cable I see in your build. Is it custom made or purchased?

How much of your other cabling is custom?

I have the same case, initital motherboard (X10SL7) and PSU, so I'm hoping to glean some tips hopefully.

Oh, one last thing, were the included Molex cables stuck in there as tight as mine are. It feels like I'm going to tear off the connector when I try to disconnect it.

Edit: Sorry for the dupe question. Was writing this seemingly at the same time you were replying.

Bebopbebop

Aug 17, 2017
@Bebopbebop See pics 9 and 10 in post#1. Basically what I did was crimp a custom length cable for the 4 molex power connectors for the backplane.
@K D, that makes a lot of sense as building in this case seems to be a nightmare as you pointed out. Thanks for the quick response.

Do you mind if I PM you a quick question?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
The red molex cable is custom. I just purchased extension cables for the 24pin and 8pin cables as I didn't feel like crimping another 50 connections. I ran those via the back of the case as well as you see in the pictures.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
@K D Any idea how much clearance there is between the motherboard and the top of the case? I'm wondering if this HSF would fit (without any fan on top of course).

K D

Dec 24, 2016
For a Xeon D, The best bet is the Supermicro or Dynatron active heatsink.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I don’t know if it is better. I only have the Dynatron and Supermicro active heat sinks and both are similar though I prefer the SuperMicro.

I am using an E3 with a Noctua L9i . You can use that as your basis for determining the max height possible for the cooler.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I don’t know if it is better. I only have the Dynatron and Supermicro active heat sinks and both are similar though I prefer the SuperMicro.

I am using an E3 with a Noctua L9i . You can use that as your basis for determining the max height possible for the cooler.
Thanks. I've had amazing results with the Cooljag 2U so I might give the 1U a shot as well.

Oct 7, 2014
Clarifying a bit, I want to shoot for the Noctua NH-L9x65, rather than the LH-L9i, since the former seems to handle higher power dissipation a little better (though it is, indeed, a little more expensive):

NH-L9x65 TDP guidelines
NH-L9i: TDP Guidelines

(as indicated by @K D a few posts back in this thread).

But, do you guys think the NH-L9x65 will fit in this case?
Nope. but at 58mm with fan, the scythe big shuriken rev2 will. works with 2011-3 which is what im using to build mine as soon as it comes in.

i should note that... to mount this cooler. you should do it before you install the motherboard into the NSC-810a. cuz aint no way you gonna be able to tighten the screws when its in the chassis.

Attachments