Zen 2 based EPYC Embedded speculation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
According to very old Roadmaps, the successor to EPYC Embedded 3000 series based on first generation Zen, was slated for Q2 2020, and we're getting close to that quarter, yet we have no recent info.
I have a bit of an issue with the Zen 2 EPYC Embedded codename, since those Roadmaps named it Starship whereas The Stilt and some other sources seems to point out that Starship is an old codename remant used by AMD for a 48C Zen 2 Processor that got scrapped in favour of Rome (Or for Zen 2 itself? I don't have it very clear, to be honest). These roadmaps were from BEFORE the original Ryzen release.

The reason why I'm extremely interesed in EPYC Embedded is because I hate Socket AM4, for the reasons listed here. Basially, Socket AM4 exposes an inferior feature set than what the Zen die actually has on it, and which is fully exposed in the EPYC Embedded line, as:
- Zen has a total of 32 PCIe Lanes, but Socket AM4 only exposes 24, 8 less. Single Die EPYC Embedded parts exposes the full 32 set.
- Zen can work in full SoC mode with no Chipset, as proven by EPYC Embedded. In Socket AM4, 4 PCIe Lanes are required for the Chipset, which is a glorified PCIe Switch, SATA and USB Controller, leaving only 20 for direct Processor connectivity. An alternative was to use the A300/X300 "Chipsets", which are simply a sort of security Coprocessor wired to Zen via the SPI Bus, freeing the 4 Lanes. However, EPYC Embedded doesn't need anything like that at all, saving both real state on the Motherboard and Chipset cost.
- Some of the extra PCIe Lanes are muxed to other builtin controllers, significantly reducing the need for Chipset Port fanout. Besides PCIe, on EPYC Embedded you can get 8 SATA and 4 10G MACs (Albeit I'm not sure on the possible combinations, as lack of documentation means that I don't know whenever the secondary 16x PCIe Controller can do 4 PCIe + 8 SATA + 4 10G MAC, or just 8 PCIe + 4 SATA + 4 10G MAC, as if the 10G MACs and half of the SATAs were multiplexed on the same lanes). Socket AM4 instead only allows for 2 of the builtin SATAs.
- Zen supports all the cast of DDR4 variants, including UDIMM, UDIMM w/ECC, RDIMM and RDIMM w/ECC, and I'm sure than LRDIMM. Socket AM4 doesn't support any type of RDIMM, and ECC support is unofficial for the most part.
- Being soldered means that it doesn't require a ZIF type Socket, which as far that I know is a rather expensive part on a Motherboard BoM.
- At release, there was a price parity between similarily geared parts like the EPYC Embedded 3251 and the Ryzen 1700, so in a direct Processor comparison, the EPYC Embedded always won in features.

The cons are as followings:
- Zen SoC has only 4 USB Ports, which is just TOO FEW for consumer user. Heck, even Supermicro mITX Motherboarsd with EPYC Embedded intended for Servers had a few USB Hubs to provide more onboard Ports. This is perhaps most important issue about EPYC Embedded for consumer, as you're forced to use an USB Hub or PCIe USB Controller to add more Ports.
- The clock speed is around a full GHz lower on EPYC Embedded than similar consumer Socket AM4 parts, albeit that would make any possible overclocking more interesing.
- Being soldered, if you want to upgrade the Processor, you have to replace the Motherboard, too.
- Being soldered, it doesn't uses standard Heatsinks, it needs custom, unupgradeable cooling solutions (Unless there is any sort of standard for them). This means that overclocking will be limited. Same with VRM designs being aimed at the soldered Processor TDP and not having tons of headroom.
- EPYC Embedded is already two generations old compared to all the other lines, since it was released when Zen was still the latest, but it missed Zen+, and is still waiting for the Zen 2 refresh.

My original idea is that a Zen SoC based platform aimed at consumers would be far better than traditional Socket AM4, more so with its mITX attempts like the AsRock DeskMini A300, which an embedded version like the Ryzen Embedded V1000 would do much better. I still believe that Zen as a SoC would be overally a much better product, as many consumer use cases can get by with the Zen SoC I/O without requiring a Chipset for further fanout, as, with the exception of the USB Ports. It would greatly simplify the platform to kick the Chipset out. Besides, most users don't upgrade often, so they don't lose a lot by going soldered.

Going back to Zen 2, based on how much AMD likes to reuse designs and silicon since Zen, I would be led to believe that a Zen 2 EPYC Embedded should be directly based on Matisse. Mattise is radically different to older Summit Ridge and Pinnacle Ridges due to its MCM design, and specifically, because the IO die is the same than the AMD X570 Chipset, which provides a heavy set of I/O including a ton of SATA and USB Ports. The latter would fix what I considered the worst shortcoming of Zen as a SoC.
Since Socket AM4 has to be backwards compatible, its pinout set in stone, so AMD can't exploit the extra connectivity in the I/O die, but this is not the case for the embedded variants. As such, there is the mythical question about what features are removed, or increased, in the IO die compared to the previous Zen SoC, as we know just what AMD tell us. I mean, that the Zen SoC had integrated 10G MACs was a surprise when AMD announced EPYC Embedded, they NEVER mentioned it at any point before, so there can be a lot of surprises in that already-released piece of silicon.

According to these slides, the X570 Chipset has at least 16 PCIe Lanes, of which 8 can be used for SATA, 4 more PCIe Lanes for the uplink with Socket AM4, 4 dedicated SATA, 8 USB 3.1 Ports, and 4 USB 2.0 (XHCI based?) Ports. Actually, just by the 24 PCIe Lanes required in AM4 to maintain backwards compatibility, the math doesn't add up, so in Chipset format, the IO die is exposing LESS PCIe Lanes than as part of a Zen 2 Processor!
Moreover, there is no info about whenever AMD will keep the 10G MACs or not. Somehow I believe that AMD keeped them in the Matisse IO die, since EPYC Embedded is being used in COM Express Type 7 boards, and Type 7 has room for 32 PCIe Lanes and 4 10GBASE-KR links. To not include that much IO, will be a step backwards as a Zen 2 EPYC Embedded would not be able to cover the use cases of the current Zen based one.
What I do believe, is that since Matisse can scale up to 16C with a single IO die, that the Dual Die EPYC Embedded may possibly be phased out, as these maxed out at 16C, too, but with twice the Memory Channels and PCIe Lanes. If anything, the Dual Die EPYC Embedded should be replaced by a much bigger Rome based one, assuming that AMD wants to do that. At least based on the products I saw, the Dual Die version is extremely rare in the wild, so it would not be surprising.

Renoir for Ryzen Embedded series is as interesing, or perhaps more so, than Matisse, but I don't think that given its mobile focus, AMD dumped a lot of dark silicon for IO that will be used in a niche product still far away.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Let me clear up one misconception.
The x570 chipset is not the same silicon as the IO-Die.
That is fricken bonkers and stems from, i think, a misinterpretation of a poorly designed presentation slide.

What i think that slide meant is a splitting of functionality.
The Rome IO-Die contains IO like USB, SATA, SAS, etc. and That got split on the consumer side into IO-Die for Matisse and the X570 chipset with all the USB and stuff. Kinda obvious. Not that it is the same chip.

To follow up on that, that would mean that the Matisse IO Die does not contain any Networking, USB, other such IO and what ever else was moved to the Chipset.
Which would mean that, Matisse can not simply act as an SOC like you propose.

To go at this from another direction:
One big difference between Zen and the Zen2 Arch is that Zen was multipurpose.
With Zen each chip basically an SOC, hence the easy Epyc embedded 3k.
With Zen2 we now see a universal chiplet with a purpose build IO-Die.

I assume, if we see a new epyc embedded, it will have a custom io die for that purpose.
---------

I'd really appreciate any pointer to any information regarding the 10G MACs on Epyc because i couldn't find anything last time i searched. Maybe my google foo got lost that time, i don't know. Couldn't find anything.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Let me clear up one misconception.
The x570 chipset is not the same silicon as the IO-Die.
That is fricken bonkers and stems from, i think, a misinterpretation of a poorly designed presentation slide.
Mattisse IO die and the X570 Chipset are not the same silicon, but it is the exact same design. They manufacture it with different lithography. I used the wrong word there.

What i think that slide meant is a splitting of functionality.
The Rome IO-Die contains IO like USB, SATA, SAS, etc. and That got split on the consumer side into IO-Die for Matisse and the X570 chipset with all the USB and stuff. Kinda obvious. Not that it is the same chip.
The only time that I make a reference to Rome IO die is when I mentioned the Dual Die EPYC Embedded, since the Matisse IO die obviously should not have 4 channel RAM nor 64 PCIe Lanes as that would be a ridiculous waste. Also, Rome IO die does NOT contain SAS, nor HD Audio Controller (ThreadRipper 3 Motherboards use USB Audio solutions onboard due to that reason).

To follow up on that, that would mean that the Matisse IO Die does not contain any Networking, USB, other such IO and what ever else was moved to the Chipset.
Which would mean that, Matisse can not simply act as an SOC like you propose.
The Matisse IO die, as used in Socket AM4, provides AT LEAST 2 SATA and 4 USBs since it has to maintain backwards compatibility with all previous AM4 Motherboards. Else, Ports on AM4 Motherboards that are wired to the Processor would not work with Matisse. Basically, it HAS to have at least that. Check the last diagram here.

I assume, if we see a new epyc embedded, it will have a custom io die for that purpose.
Given how AMD has been handling it since Zen, having dedicated silicon for a niche product is bad for business. No reason to no reuse Matisse one. I mean, TR3 uses Rome IO die, and Dual Die EPYC Embedded was a direct equivalent to TR1/2 but in embedded format.

I'd really appreciate any pointer to any information regarding the 10G MACs on Epyc because i couldn't find anything last time i searched. Maybe my google foo got lost that time, i don't know. Couldn't find anything.
ServeTheHome had an article or two mentioning it, like the launch one. Also check the EPYC Embedded 3000 Product Briefing. Keep in mind, that, as I stated, the 4 10G MACs were COMPLETELY UNKNOW until AMD announced EPYC Embedded (After Ryzen and EPYC 7000). It was hidden there in the die completely unused during around a year. No reason to believe that Matisse IO die doesn't have as many secrets.

Reactions: RageBone

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
so i guess i went from logic on the chipset question, where it doesn't make sense to me if they intended it like that from the start.

But the idea that they first fabed the matisse io-die on 14nm and then moved it to 12nm, maybe.
But still, how much space would the two left over mem channels eat away? i can't find a dieshots of either to actually have a look and compare, or estimate space savings. That could maybe explain the delay, maybe they had to "hack" it together. Maybe they wanted to go Chipsetless.

I have to admit that i'm probably not as knowledgeable as i'd like and thought.
But i'll leave it at that.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
But the idea that they first fabed the matisse io-die on 14nm and then moved it to 12nm, maybe.
But still, how much space would the two left over mem channels eat away? i can't find a dieshots of either to actually have a look and compare, or estimate space savings. That could maybe explain the delay, maybe they had to "hack" it together. Maybe they wanted to go Chipsetless.
Actually, AMD should have planned to produce in both nodes due to capacity constrains. Just think that for EVERY Matisse based Processor there is an IO die that is bigger than a single 8C CPU die itself (Only in the Dual CPU die Ryzen 3900X and 3950X the combined CPU dies are bigger than the IO die). Add a Chipset using the same design on top of that (As previously AMD used ASMedia Chipsets manufactured in an older node), and you need plenty of capacity.

There are tons of Matisse IO die shots. Check here. I have seen't that site before and I still have to run it though Google Translate, but they're mentioning it having fun stuff like 32 PCIe Lanes, which would match original Zen...

I'm just drooling over a platform that maximizes Matisse IO die capabilities, as it should be able to provision a fully featured mATX sized Motherboard with absolutely no need for a Chipset or any other major third party controller save for PHY for the 10G MACs or a PCIe NIC, the Realtek HDA Codec, and the Super I/O.

Basing myself on old Zen SoC capabilities (Not Matisse, as it is still a bit unknow), with 32 PCIe Lanes and the muxed controllers you could have something like this:

Two 16x PCIe Slots with passive switches for 16x/0x or 8x/8x - 16 Lanes
Two OCuLink Ports with both PCIe and 4x SATA support via breakout cable - 8 Lanes
An Intel X710-AT2 PCIe NIC (There is a lot of discussion regarding the feature set of AMD integrated MAC, and whenever half of the SATAs are muxed in the same lanes used for the MACs, so this is the safe bet) - 4 Lanes
An ASpeed AST2600 BMC - 2 Lanes
A M.2 Slot Type B or E (Not sure if standard Type M M.2 NVMe SSDs works in those, but it is mostly for the WiFi/Bluetooth Card, as I'm focusing on 2.5'' U.2 SSDs via OCuLink and not M.2 ones) - 2 Lanes

That should be a minimalist, simple, yet fully featured workhorse. With previous EPYC Embedded it wasn't viable because only 4 USB Ports are simply not enough. If Matisse gives you 12 USB Ports on top of what the previous Zen SoCs provided, say bye to the Chipset.

Last edited:

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Something that I forgot to mention, is that AMD was supposed to have a booth in the Embedded World event that is going to be made in Germany, beginning tomorrow. Two weeks ago this link worked, now is broken. I was expecting AMD to announce something related to next generation EPYC Embedded in this event. I have no idea if AMD decision to not have an exhibition booth may be related to the coronavirus outbreak (Several cancelled international events already) or what.

I'm quite sad that I'm the only guy around that believes that going embedded makes sense for like, 70-80% of the standard desktop users, as Joe Average type users rarely upgrades components, if at all, so they can get all the pros without being afected by any of the cons. I simply see so much untapped potential in the EPYC Embedded line if it was aimed at consumers, as it would reduce chip count, make Motherboard designs simpler, and thus cheaper.
If in the next Socket generation there is a feature parity between the embedded parts and the socketed ones I wouldn't be interesed in the embedded line at all, but as things currently are, I wouldn't be happy if I had to buy a standard AM4 Ryzen.

nasi

Feb 25, 2020
I have no idea if AMD decision to not have an exhibition booth may be related to the coronavirus outbreak (Several cancelled international events already) or what.
Yes, according to a german news site it's because of Corona. A lot of other companies have cancelled too.

You're not the only one waiting - I am too. I am kind of waiting for a successor of the ASRock Rack EPYC3251D4I-2T. If there is no news on such a thing in the next weeks I'm going to buy this one.
But until now there is only news about two new Ryzen Embedded (https://www.amd.com/en/press-releas...h-performance-computing-for-embedded-industry).

SDLeary

Aug 4, 2015
<snip> because only 4 USB Ports are simply not enough. If Matisse gives you 12 USB Ports on top of what the previous Zen SoCs provided, say bye to the Chipset.
Silly (but serious) question, but what are you using USB for? Storage? Audio processing? I find it hard to wrap my head around why people need more that four to six USB ports, and most that do can remedy the situation with a USB Hub/Switch.

SDLeary

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
You're not the only one waiting - I am too. I am kind of waiting for a successor of the ASRock Rack EPYC3251D4I-2T. If there is no news on such a thing in the next weeks I'm going to buy this one.
But until now there is only news about two new Ryzen Embedded (https://www.amd.com/en/press-releas...h-performance-computing-for-embedded-industry).
The Ryzen Embedded R1000 series is lower end than the V1000 one. What I'm not sure is if they're based on a smaller 2C die instead of Raven Ridge 4C, or if they're severely die harvested RR parts.
There are a few interesing consumer facing products using the V1000, like the UDOO Bolt. But it is smaller than mITX, and has no standard PCIe Slots. It doesn't fulfil the needs of my embedded-as-desktop-replacement dream.

Silly (but serious) question, but what are you using USB for? Storage? Audio processing? I find it hard to wrap my head around why people need more that four to six USB ports, and most that do can remedy the situation with a USB Hub/Switch.
That is a rather interesing question. Is more about the fact that even low end Motherboards have lots of USB Ports. Heck, even Supermicro mITX EPYC Embedded Motherboards uses builtin USB Hubs to fanout Zen 4 USB Ports to a few more, and it is intended for Server usage, not consumer, so even Supermicro thinks that 4 Ports is too few.
Besides Keyboard and Mouse, the ASpeed BMC takes at least one USB Port, not sure if two (These are internally wired on the Motherboard PCB so they're not exposed as Ports). Add in a Webcam, perhaps an USB Audio DAC, and you're at five or six. Free room to connect your Smartphone via USB, plus an USB Flash Drive, and you're around eight. Add in a VR set like the Oculus one, which takes FOUR USB Ports all by itself (These are better if dedicated, since usually two USB Ports shares the same bandwidth), and you're at 12. And I'm not sure if there are more miscellaneous Devices (I forgot Printer and external drives? :D). The more Ports you have, the less you have to move things around.

SDLeary

Aug 4, 2015
That is a rather interesing question. Is more about the fact that even low end Motherboards have lots of USB Ports. Heck, even Supermicro mITX EPYC Embedded Motherboards uses builtin USB Hubs to fanout Zen 4 USB Ports to a few more, and it is intended for Server usage, not consumer, so even Supermicro thinks that 4 Ports is too few.
Besides Keyboard and Mouse, the ASpeed BMC takes at least one USB Port, not sure if two (These are internally wired on the Motherboard PCB so they're not exposed as Ports). Add in a Webcam, perhaps an USB Audio DAC, and you're at five or six. Free room to connect your Smartphone via USB, plus an USB Flash Drive, and you're around eight. Add in a VR set like the Oculus one, which takes FOUR USB Ports all by itself (These are better if dedicated, since usually two USB Ports shares the same bandwidth), and you're at 12. And I'm not sure if there are more miscellaneous Devices (I forgot Printer and external drives? :D). The more Ports you have, the less you have to move things around.
OK, that makes sense. When I read it, for some reason I interpreted simply back panel (there are some gaming boards out there with a crazy amount of back panel USB). And I didn't take into account the BMC, as you say because its internally wired. Also, on my main machine, I've been using Bluetooth so long for keyboard and mouse that I forget USB with them... until the battery runs low! ;)

SDLeary

XeonLab

Aug 14, 2016
My 2 cents:
1. One has to remember that "special" products like Xeon-D and EPYC Embedded are usually somewhat tailor-made and aimed at datacenters or other similar solutions, not for Average Joe's server room. Without Facebook's input, Xeon-D would never had happened. That said, maybe at the moment there just isn't a market for Rome Embedded or AMD simply makes more profit selling customers big EPYCs and Zen 1 Embeddeds.

2. Skylake-DE was introduced almost 3 years(!) after Broadwell-DE, and Zen 1 Embedded has just had its second birthday. Maybe product cycles are just longer for BGA platforms and we will see Zen 2 Embedded in the near future.

Reactions: nasi

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The embedded business has long product cycles (7+ years.) There is also a lot more co-design that happens. Think of the market instead of mITX boards being designing chips to go in airplanes, remote telco cabinets, and elsewhere.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
1. One has to remember that "special" products like Xeon-D and EPYC Embedded are usually somewhat tailor-made and aimed at datacenters or other similar solutions, not for Average Joe's server room. Without Facebook's input, Xeon-D would never had happened. That said, maybe at the moment there just isn't a market for Rome Embedded or AMD simply makes more profit selling customers big EPYCs and Zen 1 Embeddeds.
Actually, there are Average Joes that do like these, whenever they were designed with some other customer needs in mind or not. After all, there is a reason why I'm a fan of EPYC Embedded: It does everything than Socket AM4 Ryzen does, just better.

2. Skylake-DE was introduced almost 3 years(!) after Broadwell-DE, and Zen 1 Embedded has just had its second birthday. Maybe product cycles are just longer for BGA platforms and we will see Zen 2 Embedded in the near future.
My expectations for a Zen 2 EPYC Embedded coming soon is because I saw some Roadmaps aiming it for Q2 2020. However, I don't recall if there was any legitimate source (Leak or official AMD Roadmap) for those, as the only thing I can find now is this unofficial planet3dnow Roadmap, which is highly speculative. And AMD isn't saying a lot these days.

The embedded business has long product cycles (7+ years.) There is also a lot more co-design that happens. Think of the market instead of mITX boards being designing chips to go in airplanes, remote telco cabinets, and elsewhere.
I'm aware than what I dream of is a very limited niche, perhaps even an one-of-a-kind. But these niches are also where the legends are born:

Abit BP6 - Dual Socket 370 for Celerons Mendocinos, pre-modded for SMP. If there is anything that could be considered a legendary Motherboard, maybe this is the one. There was nothing even remotely similar to it.
ASUS CT-479 - A Socket 479-to-478 adapter that could be used to plug a Pentium M in a few ASUS Socket 478 Desktop Motherboards. It was used to showcase what a Pentium M would be able to do in a Desktop form factor and how well it overclocked. Completely obliterated the Pentium 4, and was the prelude of what Conroe would do a year later.
AOpen GMEm-LFS and DFI 855GME-MGF - A pair of Socket 479 Motherboards for Pentium M in a standard Desktop mATX Form Factor. They're conceptually similar to what I expect that could be done with EPYC Embedded: Pick something that belongs to a completely different market segment, and slap it on Desktop.
EVGA Classified SR-2 - Perhaps the only Dual LGA 1366 Motherboard that could overclock a pair of Nehalem Xeons, since standard Server based platforms are usually completely locked down. Is not common to see Server and overclocking at once.
AsRock Rack X470D4U - One of the extremely niche Socket AM4 Motherboards that have a BMC. I don't need to give a lot of situation details because this is a very recent one.

I like to see when a manufacturer ignores the vendor defined market segmentation and makes products mixing and matching parts from different segments. So far, it seems that only rarely a Motherboard manufacturer goes out of its way (Perhaps because the major vendors scolds the partners too much, like when Supermicro introduced Base Clock overclocking for non-K Skylake, then a few months later, all the Motherboard manufacturers removed it at Intel request?). Yet, if you want a "gaming" Motherboard with tons of RGB lights and stupid gimmicks, there are a TON of them to choose from! Is ridiculous the oversaturation than there is in some segments and the complete lack of options in other ones.
Heck, I still remember with a bad taste when Socket AM1 was around and there were a lot of mATX Motherboards and very few mITX ones, yet these were rather low power Processor that would suit better in a HTPC form factor instead of powering a medium sized Desktop one. Go figure...

Last edited: