Zcash - any STHers Mining?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Got a server installed 5 days early so I figured, why not go try Zcash CPU mining. Power in the DC is fine and I want to do something as a bit of burn-in

Is anyone on here doing Zcash mining? If so, what pool are you using?

Fun thing to let run over the weekend.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Took me awhile but I did get it online. 236 Sols/s on the first machine.

I am using NiceHash since it was easy. I still do not know how to move my wallet :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
This might be the fastest I have ever seen a CPU machine go.

upload_2016-11-12_21-0-30.png

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What's the power to payout ratio? Ie does cashing out vc pay for electricity plus make a profit?
I do not think it does just yet. I think we are still a month from full zcash payouts so it does not just yet. On the flip side, this in a Docker container would be really interesting if you had machines that sat idle over a weekend in a datacenter with unused capacity and power. If you pay on a metered data center contract perhaps less so but if you are paying on a per-circuit pricing it would be useful. The quad system is running above the per-amp cost of electricity in Sunnyvale, CA but it is not too profitable when buying hardware as well.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well @gigatexal looks like ZTC pricing is down to the point it costs more than electricity. Still it is a fun proof of concept to get working.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
thats the bummer part about mining. I remember a few years back i was able to pay for two new video cards mining during the BTC boom. I would love it if mining covered the cost of electricity and paid enough to buy more hardware (for the great deal and for sale forums haha).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
thats the bummer part about mining. I remember a few years back i was able to pay for two new video cards mining during the BTC boom. I would love it if mining covered the cost of electricity and paid enough to buy more hardware (for the great deal and for sale forums haha).
I had a few BTC rigs many years ago when BTC was worth single-digit dollars each and the Radeon 5000 series was still very good.

I ended up selling BTC to cover the cost of equipment but had I held until BTC crossed $400 it would have covered a car.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Rate going down sucks. But here's the thing. I made over $20 this weekend, cashed out to PP and I'll be having a free beer + nachos watching the Giants game tonight. If I hadn't fired this up, I'd not have made the cash. I'll see how next weekend goes. I'm feeling like I'll need to dockerize this but the existing ones on the registry have me nervous to use.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
could someone point me in the direction of a noob-friendly guide? I haven't been into coins in a long time and I have really no clue as to how to get a wallet going, where to put it, though i think I could figure out how to start mining - but you can't really do that without a wallet right?