Zabbix XXL + Zabbix DB in Docker High Disk I/O?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
Hey All,

So I have a new computer I'm setting up to use as a monitoring platform. It is an AMD based machine (GX-415GA + 8GB RAM + 1 TB Seagate FireCuda). Right now I have Ubuntu 17.04 with Docker (official edge) installed on it. I installed Zabbix XXL w/ Zabbix DB from GitHub - monitoringartist/zabbix-xxl: Dockerized Zabbix - server, web, proxy, java gateway, snmpd with additional extensions. I have several devices setup to monitor via SNMP and 2 Supermicro Proxmox servers via Zabbix Agent + IPMI. I am also running NetData on the Monitoring box and netdata on the two ProxMox servers.

With this setup (even after trying to tune the DB) I am getting a TON of Disk I/O on the mysql process. It is reporting about 100% Disk Utilization with a ton of I/O wait time.

Anyone have any ideas where to even start looking?

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
2 point's i'd like to make
1 - maybe you're logging too much?
2 - i'd be appreciative if you could show how you are monitoring the servers. maybe a resource how to guide or two? maybe that'll help diagnose why its making that much io. docker shouldn't cause it.

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
1) Yeah... that was my thought....

2) Mostly just patched together things. A lot of it is via SNMP....

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Well you'd better check your templates, if pull everything at an interval of 30 seconds...

Also you should increase the number of spawned pollers, that way zabbix will start doing more things in parallel

Eric Faden

Dec 5, 2016
Oh, and not sure what else runs on this machine, but 8 is probably not enough
8 isn't enough?
.... I'm just running a home lab...

The checks were every 30... I'm thinking about moving graphing to influx. Then I'll make these every 5 or something.... Honestly I'm not sure how much logging in need to do from here. I may just use zabbix for uptime alerting.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk