Zabbix template for pfSense - what are you using?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Setting up the Fremont colocation, I did a new installation of Zabbix and the Zabbix agent for pfSense. I wanted to see if anyone had a good pfSense template since the FreeBSD one seems to be a poor fit.

Thanks!

Reactions: andrewbedia

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
I actually installed my first virtual pfsense today.
Hopefully i'll get the second and carp running tomorrow, hopefully by next week i can see if i can get a template going.
Would be interesting to find out what you think should be monitored other than the obvious cpu,mem, cluster status and nics
As i plan to run bgp on the that might be worth monitoring too... any sudden change of 1000's of router should be getting to alarm bells ringing..
Same goes for attacks

Reactions: Patrick

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
@ patrick, one tip.. if you want all dcs to report into 1 "master" , take a look at a distributed setup.
Will give you some headaches.. but will also allow for some fun stuff

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@ patrick, one tip.. if you want all dcs to report into 1 "master" , take a look at a distributed setup.
Will give you some headaches.. but will also allow for some fun stuff
Yea, I am a total newbie at Zabbix still. I did buy a book but not my favorite thing to be setting up.

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
unfortunatly due to unforseen family issues haven't been able to complete the PFSense cluster setup as of yet.
Templating comes after.

Do have a question to the PFSense guru's here though.

Since i plan to be using BGP-Over-IPSEC, i'm used to building route based tunnels, instead of policy based tunnel.
As far as i have read , PFSense doesn't do route based tunneling.

Anybody got any smart ideas on how to work around this ?