Zabbix monitoring

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just wondering if we have anyone here who is a Zabbix guru or knows someone who is. I want to see if I can hire someone to setup Zabbix in the lab and do a few tutorials. I have the pre-configured Zabbix VM up and running but a bit of a learning curve.

Reactions: spazoid

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Running this in our production env.
Currently monitoring 1100 servers, 200 switches, 250 routers over 3 continents with this.. takes a little getting used too when building templates but simply awesome

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Currently monitoring 1100 servers, 200 switches, 250 routers over 3 continents with this.. takes a little getting used too when building templates but simply awesome
Any guides you used? Trying to get a start.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I would also be interested to hear, why you chose to use Zabbix rather than Nagios, Icinga, etc

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I would also be interested to hear, why you chose to use Zabbix rather than Nagios, Icinga, etc
Two reasons really. First, they have a pfSense plug-in which is nice. Second, I have been getting a lot of "Zabbix is the more modern Nagios" advice lately.

Reactions: RTM

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
No Zabbix experience but recently pulled up an article on it and thought 'damn time to give this a whirl finally'. Used Zenoss before, was ok but not stellar and had lackluster hypervisor support/extensions/plugins last I checked. May be quite a bit better now.

Last edited:

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Tried it awhile back and never cared to much for the Java heavy UI. Ended up using LibreNMS, much easier learning curve.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
That's right I had opennms (did opennms fork tp librenms?) up at one point as well, was pretty good.

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Used a book, but most of all self tought.

Reasons to use zabbix
1. Easily create own template based on snmp or agent
2. Can handle huge networks/systems also multi geographical locations using proxy's
3. Lots of "free" templates available through either zabbix website or 3rd parties
4. Very easy to poc due to premade vm
5. Great support by either zabbix, local companies, or forum
6. Based on open source and easily tunable ( unlike or previous monitoring solution scom)
7. Highly scalable

That about it :)
While all of the above may also go for other systems, we never looked futher because this ticked all our boxes at the first go, and the other team was still fiddling getting basic monitoring going with the other solutions

Reactions: RTM

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Now I feel bad i'm only monitoring a dozen switches and maybe 30 servers using it, the prebuilt appliance is very easy to start with although i'm certainly curious about that book building my own templates seems a bit daunting. We used it to replace cacti since it can do alerting, I'm looking into finding a way to integrate it with our pbx(asterix) next.