Z620 SAS/SATA Backplane to RAID Card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ftln

Aug 14, 2017
Hello All,

This is my first post !

I have just bought a Z620 kitted out with 2 x 8 core xeons and 72gb ram.

It didnt come with a raid card but I just bought one for cheap of a friend, a Dell H700 to be exact.

The main use for this machine will be a ESXI host an i have installed 3 sas 7200rpm 1tb drives to start with.

The question I have is that the 3 cables which comes of the sata/sas backplane looks just like a generic sata cable and I am not sure how I can convert these to the mini sas on my H700 ?

Can somebody advise me on how I accomplish this ?

The raid cards that were originally sold with the machine used an adapter like this :

I guess I am going to need something that looks like this :

Can somebody give me some tips ?

Cheers,
Mat

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
Looks like a regular SFF-8087 to 4xSata. That should work for connecting to the H700. Make sure you got the correct Forward Breakout Cable. That will be the correct SFF-8087 to 4xSata, the Reverse Breakout will not work and is meant to go from 4xSata to SFF-8087

ftln

Aug 14, 2017
So it the last photo I post the correct one ? Im new to this raid game.

I figured the 4 x male sate coming out of the back plane will go into the 4 x sata female as shown in the last photo and the the mini sas on to the H700 ? ?

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
So it the last photo I post the correct one ? Im new to this raid game.

I figured the 4 x male sate coming out of the back plane will go into the 4 x sata female as shown in the last photo and the the mini sas on to the H700 ? ?
You are correct, you just need to make sure that the cable is not a reverse breakout. Usually it will be listed as such NORCO C-SFF8087-4S Accessories-Newegg.com

ftln

Aug 14, 2017
Thanks for the feedback.

So i bought this adapater mini sas to 4 x Sata female , I should be able to plug the sata cables coming of the backplane straight into this cable :