Your feedback - 10G switches: D-Link DXS-1210-12TC vs Netgear ProSafe XS712T-100NES vs ZyXEL XS1920

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Andre Blumberg

Oct 20, 2015
Planning to build a home 10G network and have narrowed down my switch choice to one of these three.

Would be interested in any feedback you may have on these - thanks in advance.

D-Link DXS-1210-12TC
- relatively new to market
- smart fans

Netgear ProSafe XS712T-100NES
- apparently very noisy, could be an issue using in home setup
- over two years old product, outdated compared to the other two?

ZyXEL XS1920 XS1920-12
- very new to market
- rather large, e.g about 50% deeper as D-Link
- 49 dBa

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
If anyone has one of the D-Link's - I am curious what the actual # of multicast groups it supports is. The user manual you can d/l it says 128, but on the website it says 1000.
Just scanned through the D-Link manual, the web interface seems to make more sense than the Netgear's. My Netgear is ok, it is loud but in a colo so doesn't matter. Biggest complaint is the low # of multicast groups (128) and super clunky UI, but once set up works fine. I have a constant 5-6GBit/sec feed in on one port split out to the others and SAN traffic between others w/o problems. Up for 475 days, 5PB through it since counter reset.

Reactions: Andre Blumberg

Andre Blumberg

Oct 20, 2015
Thanks Patrick, very timely!

>> "For next-to-desk use in a home lab or office environment the Netgear ProSAFE XS712T is simply too loud."

That was my main concern as well, so I have the D-Link on order. Will see how that pans out once it arrives hopefully in a week or two.

Thanks again.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks Patrick, very timely!

>> "For next-to-desk use in a home lab or office environment the Netgear ProSAFE XS712T is simply too loud."

That was my main concern as well, so I have the D-Link on order. Will see how that pans out once it arrives hopefully in a week or two.

Thanks again.
Great I would love to hear your thoughts. Hopefully I will get one for review as well.

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I am also very interested in D-Link DXS-1210-12TC serving as a core switch (to server and stacking switch) and using D-Link DGS-1510-52 as edge switch (to client only)

2015-10-26_16-56-34.jpg
PFSense is a VM Guest with a intel 340-T4 nic pci passthrough t0 it.

Andre Blumberg

Oct 20, 2015
So the D-Link DXS-1210-12TC arrived and unfortunately has to go back because it makes the sound of a jet engine. The 'smart fans' seem a nice marketing gimmick but not much more. Able to shut down individual ports as well as regulate LEDs for each port, but no apparent impact on the fan speed nor noise which I measured about 58 - 60 db, way too much for a home environment.

It's a shame since the rest of the switch perfectly match my requirements and the web based manageability features are good.

Reactions: Patrick and lmk

Andre Blumberg

Oct 20, 2015
Thanks @Patrick - good feedback. Are you aware of a (quiet) model that also has copper 10GE ports rather than SFP+? Would love to have a switch with 2 - 4 10GE copper ports and 4 - 6 1GE ports.

Could it be that the MikroTik is quieter because it only have SFP+ ports and copper are only gigabit?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks @Patrick - good feedback. Are you aware of a (quiet) model that also has copper 10GE ports rather than SFP+? Would love to have a switch with 2 - 4 10GE copper ports and 4 - 6 1GE ports.

Could it be that the MikroTik is quieter because it only have SFP+ ports and copper are only gigabit?
SFP+ makes a huge difference in terms of power consumption. To be 10Gbase-T the ports need to be capable of long runs across cables that are very noisy. That requires significantly more signal processing and therefore increases power consumption and heat.

itguy82

Mar 1, 2015

I just purchased a Negear S3300-28X. It has fan noise but it is only as loud as a video card fan at full speed about. I would not want it on my desk but it might be OK in the corner of a room. I keep it in my garage. Love the switch so far.

Naeblis

Oct 22, 2015
Folsom, CA
Planning to build a home 10G network and have narrowed down my switch choice to one of these three.

Would be interested in any feedback you may have on these - thanks in advance.

Netgear ProSafe XS712T-100NES
- apparently very noisy, could be an issue using in home setup
- over two years old product, outdated compared to the other two?
i have a NETGEAR ProSAFE XS712T 12-Port and it is not noisy, layer 3 and easy to use