Yet another "what NAS case" thread (mATX low profile, 10 drive)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
Per the title I'm trying to find a case similar to those used by the Brontastor appliances. Since I already have boards, RAID cards, NICs etc, I'm really not interested in importing fully specced servers - even if I was, the UK reseller either ignored or didn't receive emails.

I mocked up what I'd like to build (I'm trying to use off the shelf parts where possible) but I don't have the time, the skills, the tools or the space to do it myself. I know this particular model isn't perfectly set up but it does seem to be within the bounds of possibility. Note the use of a bog standard PSU, two 5 in 3 modules (I'd go with Icybox but they're all comparable) and a 4 in 1, low profile expansion slots and cutouts for cables etc.

Can anyone suggest something comparable to this? Anyone want to fab three of them (which I know will cost) and ship the bits flat-packed to Australia for me to assemble :D?

Front-1.jpg Front-1-Closed.jpg Front-2.jpg Front-2-Closed.jpg Rear.jpg Top-Open.jpg

Note - SketchUp Components Collection is the source for most of the fan, PSU and board/PCI models, I only plugged them poorly together

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2012
Check out this video from Linus:
. He actually does a follow up video on some lessons learned in designing a case and I expect that for all but the most dedicated out there its likely to end in hassle and heartbreak.

There are a number of cases out there are modular and stack able, my personal thoughts given out specifications would be this case by Lian Li. If anything you could pair this with this HDD handles and\or a custom side panel and end up with something close to what you've sketched out.

Case: Lian-Li Global | PC-Q26
Handles: Lian-Li Global | PT-H01

Another options is the OrigenAE S21, I have one sitting in my cupboard (not in use) and have considered making it a NAS. I too am in OZ and have built a number of custom servers using parts from iStar and others in an attempt to create a awesome NAS and but have found my Synology to be "best" option in that it just works and I cant get so hung up on perfection - it is what it is.

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
Good video. Lots of useful info.

Problem with cases off the shelf is that they're either massive (Norco RPC-4 series, I have two) or built for miniITX (the Q26).

The thing is I know I said NAS case but they wouldn't be running a NAS distro - they're intended to be all-in-one hypervisor and storage, or backup software - so that (and the cost) kills off the dedicated NAS devices as a general rule.

There's also the Fractal 804, the Silverstone DS380 (I think) - close enough would be the S919 from iStar but I can't find any resellers (plus I'd need to locate a dozen full height brackets for various cards that never had them when I purchased).

I might see how expensive it would be for Protocase - and see if I can find Linus' followup video on his custom case.