(Yet another) SC846 Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I think all 846 chassis have a blank in the rear for a cd/dvd drive, but on b revsision this could be used for hdds/ssds with the optional kit.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I wish I could find this Supermicro MCP-220-84606-0N Rear Side Dual 2.5
cheap :)

I have the same chassis, but since I am modding it badly I can cut out the space for it.

Necrotyr

Jun 25, 2017
Denmark
I wish I could find this Supermicro MCP-220-84606-0N Rear Side Dual 2.5
cheap :)

I have the same chassis, but since I am modding it badly I can cut out the space for it.
Where in the world are you?

You can have mine for the freight, I've no use for it.

cessquill

Nov 30, 2017
My chassis has the rear window, but it'll not fit the HDD kit, only the ODD kit, so there might be another version in between the 846 and 846B, an 846A?
From what I understand, that's the straight 846 (although I could be wrong). The SC846 manual has a table listing drive options for the "B" and "non B" versions. Non-B, optical drive, B, 2.5" drive kit.

However, if you've got an expansion back or two free, you can pick up a couple 2,5" hot swap bays that fit in a PCI bay. Either straight into an expansion port, or with a SATA power and data socket on the back. I've just plumped for some cheap internal PCI mounts for now - screw the drive to the mount, put the mount into an expansion slot. Having put a thinner motherboard, I've got two spare expansion sockets. I've only done this because the official internal drive mounts were silly money for me (in the UK).

I got the SQ power supply, and it's not looking great. It fits, and I get motherboard lights. I can connect to the IPMI interface and trigger a power on, but nothing seems to happen. Going to contact SM support and look into it over the weekend.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the second page of comments explaining the drive options...

Necrotyr

Jun 25, 2017
Denmark
I got the SQ power supply, and it's not looking great. It fits, and I get motherboard lights. I can connect to the IPMI interface and trigger a power on, but nothing seems to happen. Going to contact SM support and look into it over the weekend.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the second page of comments explaining the drive options...
Have you plugged the PSU in the bottom or the upper slot?

cessquill

Nov 30, 2017
From memory, the bottom slot (90% certain). Powered down and unhooked the noisy PSU (not sure whether you can have two mismatched supplies in at once).

Necrotyr

Jun 25, 2017
Denmark
From memory, the bottom slot (90% certain). Powered down and unhooked the noisy PSU (not sure whether you can have two mismatched supplies in at once).
Nope, just plug in the SQ in the bottom slot and remove the top PSU completely.

cessquill

Nov 30, 2017
I have a couple of this, but I do not have open slots to put them.
I put in one and the second is taped to the wall of the case inside, kind of defeating the purpose :)
:) I know the feeling. I don't suppose anybody's fashioned a mounting shelf to go above the expansion ports (where there's a grill?

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
:) I know the feeling. I don't suppose anybody's fashioned a mounting shelf to go above the expansion ports (where there's a grill?
well there is a space between PSU and MB, in 846A like mine it fits the optical drive, in 846B it should fit either optical drive or the 2.5 bay. since I need to mod it anyway I figured I could tinker and squeeze the 2.5 drive bay in there. I had bought the dual bay from local MicroCenter , but it it one designed for 3.5 bay fit. it is wider/toler in comparison to original supermicro

cessquill

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, the shipping to the UK is more than twice the price of the unit, so I'm setting up an eBay search. It's obviously still not huge case, but I've spent far too much on this already...

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
SUPERMICRO MCP-220-84603-0N Dual 2.5" Fixed HDD Tray SUPERMICRO MCP-220-84603-0N Dual 2.5" Fixed HDD Tray - Newegg.com

You can use 2 of these to add up to 4 drives internally in an 846 chassis.
I can't :)

I gutted the case,
take out the original PSU and fanwall. so no mounting points anymore.
so if anyone wants 2 original PSUs and all hardware and connections to them and original fanwall and fans from 846 case let me know. they just laying around.

cessquill

Nov 30, 2017
Nope, just plug in the SQ in the bottom slot and remove the top PSU completely.
Well, that didn't work. I get a yellow light on the PSU (not sure whether that's its normal colour), lights on the mobo and access to the IPMI. No fans spin (including the PSU fan). Triggering power up/cycle on the IPMI does nothing.

Can't think there are any settings, so I've either picked up a dud or the PDB doesn't work with the SQ (despite Supermicro saying it does).

Anybody got any ideas to try?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Does you pdb support pmbus? I think this was a requirement if you want to use sq (and other plantinum) psus.