Yet again, is the C6100 still worth it?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Hardware no.

Software - depending what you're using could be distributed... likely for home use, not.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
How much value do you guys put in redundant PSUs? That one dual node server that was recommended earlier is something I'm really considering but I'm not sure about it since it only has one PSU even though it is gold rated.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Most people at home take out the 2nd, and use it as a backup... the 2nd PSU draws ~11w-15w sitting there.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
So then that's not much different from just having a spare on hand then for single unit machines...hm. The thing is, I feel like I might be placing a lot of unnecessary value on having a redundant unit for home use. I just like the idea of being able to say "uh oh, PSU died, good thing I have a redundant unit in" and then going to order, or, throw in the 3rd spare I had lying around. Getting 2 of those 1U servers would be just like having a the C6100, except, as separate systems. So it doesn't make sense not to get the 6100 if I want redundancy. -_-

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
It's a great value still but it is getting old at this point. If you have cheap power it's good.

Reactions: T_Minus

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
So I think I have an idea of how I want to go but I'm a little unsure and want to clarify before I order anything. I'm doing to do a barebones build using the 6026TT-HTRF SM chassis and I want to utilize at a a minimum of 2 847 chassis to act as SAN/NAS. I planned to get infiniband cards for the 6026TT-HTFR nodes and infiniband cards for the 847 builds. However, in the 847 builds I was going to use 2 LSI 9650SE-12ML RAID cards each for 12 drives per card.

Here's where I'm unsure, that RAID card isn't an externable HBA with external SAS connectors, they all hook up internally to the front bays. So is a direct infiniband connection from the IB adapter cards in each machine all I need to obtain SAN/NAS functionality? Or do I need to actually hook them up via HBAs?