Yes, they can be somewhat mean over at the FreeNAS forum

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
what do you mean by the title.
I read the whole thread and I see nothing mean in there. just a noob-stupid mistake of OP to setup and actually use a configuration that is not based on proposed minimum by the product vendor. I mean you can tow a trailer with a VW Bug but be prepared to deal with a consequences of this stupid behavior.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
what do you mean by the title.
I read the whole thread and I see nothing mean in there. just a noob-stupid mistake of OP to setup and actually use a configuration that is not based on proposed minimum by the product vendor. I mean you can tow a trailer with a VW Bug but be prepared to deal with a consequences of this stupid behavior.
Hang around over there awhile and you'll get it, lol.

CookiesLikeWhoa

Sep 7, 2016
That forum is known for...being blunt. They were blunt there, but I can't say that the OP didn't have that one coming.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I don't go there at all, its just not a friendly atmosphere. If you have a question about a bit of hardware that they do not approve of you will get hammered.

They cater to a VERY narrow user base.

If you are a newbie with some thrown together less than idea hardware, or a more advance user just wants to use FreeNAS on some spare hardware on hand to see if they like it before they dedicate cash/hardware they will get nothing but grief and aggravation if they post a question.

Sort of like this.

Question "I'm not using ECC ram in this build does the ram per gig hard drive ratio still apply?"

Answer "HOW DARE YOU COME HERE AND ASK ANY QUESTION AT ALL SINCE YOU ARE NOT SMART ENOUGH TO USE ECC RAM!! NOW F OFF!! "

Thats probably a slight exaggeration, :D but thats the vibe I get from that place.

CookiesLikeWhoa

Sep 7, 2016
They have got a lot better than where it was a couple of years ago. I do get it to an extent though. They really care about making sure your data is protected the way FreeNAS was designed.

That said, there could be some more tact used when telling people this stuff.

Reactions: Klee

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
I don't go there at all, its just not a friendly atmosphere. If you have a question about a bit of hardware that they do not approve of you will get hammered.

They cater to a VERY narrow user base.

If you are a newbie with some thrown together less than idea hardware, or a more advance user just wants to use FreeNAS on some spare hardware on hand to see if they like it before they dedicate cash/hardware they will get nothing but grief and aggravation if they post a question.

Sort of like this.

Question "I'm not using ECC ram in this build does the ram per gig hard drive ratio still apply?"

Answer "HOW DARE YOU COME HERE AND ASK ANY QUESTION AT ALL SINCE YOU ARE NOT SMART ENOUGH TO USE ECC RAM!! NOW F OFF!! "

Thats probably a slight exaggeration, :D but thats the vibe I get from that place.
Sometimes I get similar vibe at Proxmox forum . if you are not running with paid subscription you are not treated very welcome over all. but not as bad as quote above, just not very friendly.
however over all community is ok.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
They have got a lot better than where it was a couple of years ago. I do get it to an extent though. They really care about making sure your data is protected the way FreeNAS was designed.

Yep! LOL

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
Why? Why is there a need to protect people's feelings and sugar coat everything?

I'd definitely prefer number 2 from this list:
  1. Sorry, but you may have missed the hardware requirements ... as previously stated ... blah blah blah ...
  2. You don't have enough RAM. Read the documentation <link>!
  3. You flipping idiot, you're a moron, can't you read!?
Why do we have to avoid making people feel bad *for doing silly things*?

Reactions: T_Minus

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Why? Why is there a need to protect people's feelings and sugar coat everything?

1. Sorry, but you may have missed the hardware requirements ... as previously stated ... blah blah blah ...

I treat people on-line just as if they were in front of me, its just good manners.

If someone called me a moron to my face they would not like what would happen next, but considering that I'm 5'10" and 225 with just a small gut I rarely have that issue.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Aestr and pgh5278

herby

Aug 18, 2013

What I don't like is the mods over there shit all over their forum responding how they do. It's super annoying to go into a thread with a title that seems relevant to my interests, only to find one of them is just dressing down a newbie who isn't taking it well.

Yeah it sucks that people don't RTFM; so shut it down, don't pile on.

I hate to say it but i'm not sure if I disagree. :) I can understand to some degree that standards exist for a reason and that when a person tries to do something below a standard it generally doesn't work well. Like looking at the design of ZFS it REALLY makes sense why there is an ECC RAM requirement for instance - it's like the achilles heel really if you cant trust the RAM it's on. But sometimes the other experts there seem to have blinders on to the point that if you make one single public mistake they never let it go. If you misstate one single thing about what you think you need to do they'll never let you forget it.

As near as I can tell the answer to everything is either 1) pony up the cash to build a minimum class system (which a few years ago seemed to amount to "32gigs ram and 32TB storage is as big as it gets for commoners") or 2) if you need more pay a profesional 100k/year to design it for you or expect no help. Even something just slightly above #1, or the slightest out of the box thinking like "just run a pair of servers from #1 to get 64TB" will not be said - you'll be steered to #2 even if it costs 10x as much for 2x the storage even if you are a nonprofit.

I shouldn't gripe about free advice (the adage about you get what you pay for) but sometimes it seems that certain people get locked into a certain belief that there is only one right way to solve a problem, even when your problem doesn't exactly match what their solution is best tuned to deal with.