Year round garage servers - cooling?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Thinking of moving the servers from the office to a garage or shed. Anyone try this? I saw there are open cooling optimized solutions. Those could be OK for this type of idea or can I just use a normal solution?

Anyone doing this even in the summer?

Bunker

Mar 10, 2013
I used a mini split to cool my bunker project, They seem to offer best efficiency.. way more than a portable ac. I know a few peeps who built in a container, often cheaper and more rugged than a shed. Check out the SGI ice cube air.

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
I would think the feasibility of this will depend greatly on your location. Course the biggest concerns I would have are not so much temp, but dust, bugs and humidity.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Location, location, location. I live in N.CA and have run my servers in the garage for 10 years. Never had a problem, though the summer outside temps can occasionally get into the low-100s, we still get some evening cooling and the inside temp of the garage rarely peaks above about 80ish (hot for a server, but not deadly).

If it were midwest/east where you can go weeks on end with the evening temps never dropping - or where there is significant humidity - i think you might want to do something about cooling.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I've had a 24U rack in the garage for a while now. Given, never more than a few servers powered on at a time. Works well in Northern California. We have low humidity and evenings get fairly cool. Would second the notion that it does depend on where you are.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Yep, global forum, lots of different climates out there.

I am equatorial in Singapore with 32deg C ambient temps, high humidity and a very dusty atmosphere. I don't have a garage or even a garden (much to my English despair) so cannot help there but my servers run in a small room with little airflow. Top temps I have seen at the top of the rack are 37Deg C. My ML110 G7 hates it and is by far the loudest machine I now have after quieting my C6100.

I have seen no issues so far.

Back in the Uk I had some servers in the loft (roof space) and was more concerned then with the baking heat but again, never had an issue.

RB

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
Please do not underestimate the destructive power of BUGS. I am in Northern VA, while the summers do not get super hot maybe a week worth of 100F weather with most of the summer in the upper 80s low 90s. The humidity is high and since I live in a wooded area the bugs are numerous. While I can keep the bulk out of the house and basement, I pretty much have lost the war in the garage. Spider crap is surprisingly acidic and etches paint, cant imagine what it would do to the inside of a computer.

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
I used a mini split to cool my bunker project, They seem to offer best efficiency.. way more than a portable ac. I know a few peeps who built in a container, often cheaper and more rugged than a shed. Check out the SGI ice cube air.
HAHAHA

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
If you can keep gear dry and cool with ambient air temps, then forget A/C.

If there is moisture or humidity but still reasonable ambient temps then look at water cooling. I live in Queensland, Aus. and we see loads of humidity that is usually sea air laiden with salt. The last stuff you don't want around gear. I have solutions with some customers where the servers are modded with water cooling gear (CPU's, GPU's, DIMM's) then run external facing quick-disconnects. The rack then has a pair of header lines wich the servers are connected to and then also a large radiator in the top of the Rack cabinet. This is to collect any other heat in the cabinet from things like PSU's and HDD's. The coolant in the system is kept as a local closed loop with a heat exchanger (stainless steel) that then exchanges heat from the closed loop to water from a swimming pool.
Simple temp sensors or temp switches keep an eye on the servers, if the coolant stops, servers shut down.

It does sound complicated but when done, is actually pretty straight forward and can be done on a budget. When this is compared to hardware and install costs of A/C and then the running costs, saving come quick.

There is also immersion cooling for the keen.