YAPLFBA (Yet another person looking for build advice) - cheap NAS all-in-one

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

brianbloom

Apr 4, 2017
Hi all. Been following the threads for a bit, but this is my first post.

My Synology NAS is getting old (2010 model) and it's time to replace and upgrade. I've spent the last 4 months researching the crap out of all the replacement models on the market and am disenchanted with most of them, so considering building my own to have better horsepower at a lower price. Leaning towards an Unraid setup, but open to FreeNAS if I can keep costs down.

Features/requirements, starting with most important to me:
1. Small, quiet, and low power. - Been most seriously contemplating a D-1521, D-1528 or maybe an i5-7600T based system, trying to minimize TDP for more of a 24/7 appliance than a big beast. Smaller footprint=better. Also moving to the Netherlands soon where I'm told electricity is going to cost me more.

2. Budget - looking at $500-800 USD range. I already have a couple new 4TB Ironwolf NAS drives, plus the older Seagates in my current NAS, so outlay would be for mobo, cpu, ram, psu, and case.

3. VMs - Intend to run 2 or 3 light or medium weight linux VMs most of the time. Wife wants a server to play with node.js on, I have a couple small personal webapps I want to selfhost rather than VPS/host. No gaming or heavy graphics needed. I figure a Passmark of 6000 or higher with 4 or more cores should probably handle my needs. (this seem about right for a NAS/VM host?).

4. Docker - not as critical as VMs, but there are a few apps that would be nice to spin up that don't need a full VM

5. NAS functions - holds our personal docs, ebooks, large music collection and once I finish ripping it, my DVD collection, and will feed my Sonos and Roku respectively. Haven't dabbled in Plex or Kodi much yet, but predict that my transcoding needs are minimal. I have a PC I can recode stuff "offline" as needed. Would be nice if I could run an HDMI to my TV and just play stuff directly though. Nice-to-have-but-not-a-requirement. Probably 1 video stream at a time at most, and 2-3 other accesses between music and docs.

6. Storage - planning on an SSD or 2 for VMs and/or caching. Would like 4 drives minimum for docs and media collection counting a RAID or parity drive. So been looking at 5,6,or 8xSATA motherboards mostly.

7. Ports - I have a gigabit switch (TL-SG2424) that supports link aggregation and also has "Combo SFP" slots. So, platforms that support being able to give a VM its own IP on its own jack are desirable and so I'd like 2 1GBit ports as minimum, although trying to decide if I should expect to go 10gbit at some point. Also would like USB 3.0 for an external drive for doing local backup, which kinda quashes some of the older Xeon options.

So, given the budget indicated, and wanting something on the smaller side (like no extended ATX, full tower, or deep 4U box), what might be a nice combo that gives me 4-5 drives and a decent virtualization/NAS all-in-one setup? Should I go low-end Xeon D? One of the T-model i5 or i7 skylake or kaby lake procs? Or an older Xeon... perhaps an L-model e3/e5 with lower TDP?

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I'd consider a U-NAS 8 bay chassis with a Mini-ITX motherboard and then whatever CPU/mem you like :)
Dell perc H310 is about $35 off ebay and is a great HBA that is easily passed through to whatever NAS software you prefer.

You could run Vmware ESXi and have XPEnology running as one of the hosts, then have some others for dev etc.
XPEnology works perfectly under ESXi and can still run docker containers right from the UI you are used to.

Reactions: brianbloom

brianbloom

Apr 4, 2017
Dell perc H310 is about $35 off ebay and is a great HBA that is easily passed through to whatever NAS software you prefer.
This (the passing through part) should work as long as I have any proc with VT-d, correct?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
The silverstone ds180 or the bigger cs180 are also good chassis for this use case. I have both the ds180 as well as the unas nsc810a. The unas is a newer build. But the ds180 has been running 24/7 for the past 2 years with (8) 3.5, (3) 2.5 and (1) ssd with hdd temperature constant at around 35 degrees.

Currently the unas is my main home server with an xl7 and 1265L v3 with 32 gig of ram. Host OS is esxi 6.5. The hba is passed on to a Windows essentials 2012 r2 with (8) wd reds using drive pool. Also running an Ubuntu VM for media server, VCSA and another windows server which is a secondary ad/dns/dhcp/wds server for my lab. See my thread in the builds forum for more information on this case.

The 1528 is a good bet processor wise in terms of low power consumption but I hot a good deal on a x10 with onboard sas and a xeon L.

I went with drive pool on a Windows host here as I am not too concerned about data loss due to drive failure in this unit as it hosts only media and for which I have backups. A freenas/napp-it/xxxx based all in one will be a better fit for most use cases.