Xyratex RS-1603 SATA array with 12x2TB drives - Can't get over 500 MB/s in RAID0

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

David

Dec 31, 2015
Happy New Year to all.

Someone gave me an older (2006) Xyratex RS-1603 SAS/SATA enclosure with 16-bays. I put 8 Hitachi SATA2 drives into it, connected it to an LSI 8888ELP RAID adapter, and configured it for RAID0 (128K, Write Through, Read Ahead). I am not concerned about redundancy - only speed, and then capacity. These settings are what I have typically used, and LSI recommends them in cases where large files (100s of GBs) will be accessed sequentially.

The results for sequential read and write is just under 500 MB/s. What you would expect from 4 drives in a synthetic benchmark. The drives individually are capable of about 130 MB/s. In the product literature it says the RS-1603 is capable of 1200 MB/s (4 aggregated 3Gb SAS lanes -4x3Gb SAS lanes- per port. It has two 4-lane 3Gb SAS ports per controller (EBOD) and I have two controllers.

In reality, I think I should be able to get about 900-1000 MB/s.

But even though there are 2 ports each on the two controllers, it appears to me that the 2nd port on each controller is only for expansion to another enclosure (as shown in the install manual and is called EXP), and the second controller is just for redundancy. The main port is called HOST.

When I tried to connect a cable to the HOST port on the 2nd controller, the LSI adapter just hangs and is not recognized. I even tried connecting a second cable to EXP port on first controller, but it had no effect.

So the results I posted above are for 8 drives accessed from the HOST port on only one controller.

I was hoping that this enclosure would allow me to address the first 8 drives from one cable out of my LSI adapter, and the second 8 drives from the second cable out of my LSI adapter. But that doesn't appear to be the case. It seems all 16 drives are accessed in one enclosure through a single cable.

When I added another 4 drives for a total of 12, I still get the less than 500 MB/s results. I am not sure what I don't understand and doing wrong, since I can't even get close to 1000 MB/s. There is nothing really to configure on the enclosure and the manual has virtually nothing useful in it.

This enclosure was widely used in Dell's, EMC's, etc. so perhaps someone out there can point me in the direction to solve this issue. I am not an Enterprise hardware guy, so perhaps I am just missing something conceptually.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I think you might be hitting the max throughput of your raid controller. If you have newer generation raid card, you might want to re-test and post the results.

Reactions: MiniKnight

David

Dec 31, 2015
I think you might be hitting the max throughput of your raid controller. If you have newer generation raid card, you might want to re-test and post the results.

Maybe. I have only used the LSI8888ELP with 4 drive setups with RAID0, and I always get just under 500 R/W sequential with 4 drives.

However, 1 SAS cable carries lines for 4 x 3Gb SAS lanes, which is why the Xyratex brochure says the max performance is 1200 M/s. In theory you should be able to approach that max with a single SATA2 adapter and 1 cable... I think. In 2006, the LSI8888ELP was one of the top SATA2 RAID cards.

On the other hand, I never had an array with more than 4 drives!

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
I think it's the controller bottlenecking you. I have one 8888ELP still in use in a Supermicro SC846E1, the 4x 3gb link with 24 7.2k 2TB Hitachi SATA drives maxes out around 400-500MB/s running RAID6. I also just retired an external DataOn DNS-1200 connected to the same controller with 12x 15k Hitachi 450's in RAID10. It did about the same at 400-500MB/s and even with both arrays going each with their own 4x3Gb link to the controller, 400-500MB/s combined was all it could manage with sequential read/writes.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
I know the 1068 is limited to 350MB/sec or so per port (4x lanes) and 500MB/sec total. Being that the controller is based on the 1078 it very well may be a similar issue.

David

Dec 31, 2015
I got a hold of a LSI9285 adaptor (6Gb circa 2014) but I could only borrow it for 30 minutes. I replaced the LSI8888ELP with it (Windows automatically installed the latest drivers) and the new card recognized the array I created with the older LSI card. I didn't create a new array for lack of time. The sequential results were the same as with the LSI8888ELP.

I was reading a StorageReview.com review of the LSI8888ELP and a newer LSI9260-8i, and they concluded:
"Unlike SSDs, hard drives do not benefit from the faster transfer speed of LSI’s MegaRAID 9260-8i card and its 6.0Gbps SATA III interface vs. the SATA II MegaRAID 8888ELP."

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
What PCIe slot is the card plugged into? Maxing out at 500MB/s throughput sounds suspiciously like you might be limited to a 1xPCIe 2.0 link but as pointed out this is a pretty crufty controller; found this PDF from Fujitsu which also shows performance on a 4-spindle RAID0 topping out at 500MB/s seq reads... however this Dell one mentions its 1078 reaching sequentials of over 1GB/s.