Xpenology on Proxmox bounty

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Running out of time this week, I tried getting Xpenology on Proxmox setup today and failed here:
upload_2016-3-8_13-51-26.png

I want to have an Xpenology instance on a Proxmox server at home. If you can make a step-by-step guide for me to get this working I have $25 for them via PayPal and I am happy to give the guide main site publicity with your name on it if you want.

What I did was:
  • Make a new VM with an ide0 disk - write though cache, used Virtio networking which worked OK
  • Boot from the Xpenology ISO
  • Locate the VM's external IP address
I tried qcow2 and raw disks but that did not work. I must be missing something.

Shoot me a PM if interested.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Did you look at this: XPEnology NAS • View topic - Installation on Proxmox (with physical disk assignment). Its dated and for an older release of Xpenology.

Or post #3 from this much newer thread: XPEnology NAS • View topic - Version : 5.2-5592.

Just wondering. I've not tried them either - but if it works I won't even try to claim the bounty for spending 30 seconds with Google.
I tried that and about 3 other methods I googled. Even made videos so I could double check what I was doing :-/

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Any reason you need to "install it inside" Proxmox if its going to a physical disk?

Couldn't you just do a bare metal install?
Shutdown
Boot proxmox
Pass disk to Xpenology VM
Start Xpenology VM

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Any reason you need to "install it inside" Proxmox if its going to a physical disk?

Couldn't you just do a bare metal install?
Shutdown
Boot proxmox
Pass disk to Xpenology VM
Start Xpenology VM
I do want the boot disk for DSM to be on local storage or a ZFS volume (trying local for now since that seems like it would be easier.)

Marsh

May 12, 2013
What is the fix?
I am planning to move my Xpenology from Hyper-v to Proxmox later this month.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What is the fix?
I am planning to move my Xpenology from Hyper-v to Proxmox later this month.
I bet if you were to do that, it would be easier to just convert the VM. In my case, I had the wrong order on the installation.