Xmrig is a faster XMR miner in some use cases

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
GitHub - xmrig/xmrig: Monero (XMR) CPU miner

Works in Windows and Linux.

It's been out a few months, long enough if it was a scam it would have been found out, and seems to be the easiest to install and faster than XMR-Stak.

Also has a Nvidia version with an AMD version on the horizon.
https://github.com/xmrig/xmrig
Just tried it out on my dual E5-2620 Ubuntu 16.04 box and the has rate went up from ~475 H/s to 533 H/s :D

Thats over %10 improvement.:cool:

I just did a quick install and test, it auto configures the cpu's and on a E5-26XX V1 works perfectly.

I did ZERO tweaking and left the default donation level of %5 just to check it out, you can compile it at %5 default or %1 or even %0 if you want.

I'm really liking it so far.

Will install on my main pc to see how it handles autoconfig the cpu cores on the oddball E5-2667 V3 es cpu's that I have and give the Nvidia version a try.

Will let it run on my dual E5-2620 box for a while.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Comparison with XMR-STAK in upper window and XMRig in lower window on my Dual E5-2620 v1 box.

Only difference is that I changed the default donation to %1 in the make file.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Next I copied over the default "config.json" to the xmrig build folder and edited it for the pool and user info.

Now instead of typing in one long command , ./xmrig -o poolinfo -u username -p pw , I just type in ./xmrig.

I will definitely install this on my other machines this weekend if it does ok on this one machine.

It is VERY easy to install, only problem is i'll need to add some ram temporarily to my two open computer servers that are only running 2 one gig sticks of ram each since I do not think it will compile with only two gigs of ram.

Also I do not know how well the auto config works on newer cpu's.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
So far no invalid shares on the pool so I'll check it in the am.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Just installed the xmrig-nvidia on my main pc, Ubuntu 17.04/Win 10 pro with dual E5-2667 V3 es cpu's and a GTX1080Ti.

Install went smoothly and works perfectly.

I never could get XMR-STAK-NVIDIA to compile and run on Ubuntu 17.04 and Cuda 8 but xmrig-nvidia works great.

Only issue is the Nvidia settings "PowerMizer" settings do not seem to work with it and the settings remain at the default, in windows I run the gpu graphics clock -400 and memory clocks +560 using MSI Afterburner and get about 835 H/s, and only get ~738 H/s with xmrig-nvidia in Linux.

Oh well at least it works, just need to play around with this program more to see what I can get with it.

Well at least the desktop is still responsive unlike in windows where it slows down to a crawl when I mine using the gpu.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Perhaps once a box or two finish, I can give this a try.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
So far so good, both the cpu version and the nvidia version are running fine over night.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Still 2MB/ thread? How much is the dev fee?

Dev fee is adjustable or you can remove it.

Yep 2mb per thread, and it does not affine threads to any particular core unlike XMR-STAK.

Don't know if thats better or worse but its interesting.

spfoo

May 23, 2017
Dev fee is adjustable or you can remove it.

Yep 2mb per thread, and it does not affine threads to any particular core unlike XMR-STAK.

Don't know if thats better or worse but its interesting.
Well I looked at Wolf's code and he commented out the affinity part. It was active in the original code. I tested with it on AMD and at least on AMD using affinity was slower than without it.

spfoo

May 23, 2017
OS schedulers are decent these days.
Yes that's what I figured as well. Any pointers on which scheduler mode would be most efficient for mining on Linux? I haven't played with the various modes yet so any experience appreciated.

jims2321

Jul 7, 2013
spfoo,

could you post your config.txt for your amd miner without cpu affinity, or do you just set the affinity section to false?

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Installed on one of my open compute nodes this evening.

Halted one node of my second opencomputer server, "node 4".

Removed the two 2 gig sticks of ram and replaced them with two 8 gig sticks so I will have plenty to compile this program on it.

Fired it up again and logged in via ssh and am updating it before I do anything else.

Rebooted the node for the heck of it.

Following this guide:

Ubuntu Build · xmrig/xmrig Wiki · GitHub
https://github.com/xmrig/xmrig/wiki/Ubuntu-Build

Next configure the "config.json" file with your pool and user info and copy it to the xmrig build directory. I found out its not necessary to edit the make file to change the donation level since there is a place in the config.json file to change it.

Run "./xmrig"

And it seems to run at about the same speed as xmr-stak-cpu on this open compute node.o_O

Maybe it is optimized more for 16.04 with an older version of gcc?

But it is easier to install than XMR-STAK-CPU.

Next I'm going to try to use gcc7 and compile with it.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Reinstalling using gcc 7 to compile.

The instructions for 16.04 in the link above do not work so use these instructions.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gcc-7

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Speed comparison on Ubuntu 17.04 gcc 6.3.0 vs gcc 7.0.1

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Well it looks like I broke my Ubuntu install trying to install gcc5......:(

Going to bed now, ill fix this weekend.