Xeons with an open multiplier

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Retrorockit

Mar 22, 2018
You should remove the W5580,W5590 from the unlocked list. False reports in articles, and misleading CPUZ caused the rumors. Someone even tested an ES chip at TPU and it was locked. I can't find anyone who can confirm an unlocked example.
So far we've found no examples of unlocked 2xCPU Xeons except the LGA771 QX9775.
EVGA Classified SR2 seems to be the only unlocked MB for the 2x CPU Xeon 5500/5520 chipset platform.

Last edited:

Retrorockit

Mar 22, 2018
I have someone at TPU Throttlestop Overclocking thread trying an E5-1620 and getting no overclock. is there a BIOS or firmware version involved in unlocking these? I remember some conversations about Intel trying to "fix" the unlocked CPU issue.
Throttlestop overclocking Desktop PCs
I think a partial unlock to 43x is what's expected.

BlackArchon

Jun 23, 2016
You should remove the W5580,W5590 from the unlocked list. False reports in articles, and misleading CPUZ caused the rumors. Someone even tested an ES chip at TPU and it was locked. I can't find anyone who can confirm an unlocked example.
So far we've found no examples of unlocked 2xCPU Xeons except the LGA771 QX9775.
EVGA Classified SR2 seems to be the only unlocked MB for the 2x CPU Xeon 5500/5520 chipset platform.
So you are saying that this CPU-Z validation is fake? Intel Xeon W5580 @ 5612.23 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR
It shows as D0 stepping (which is the production stepping of this CPU) and an multiplier of 42.

Retrorockit

Mar 22, 2018
Unclewebb the developer of Throttlestop tested an W5580 and found it locked and another user totalfreq tested a W5590 ES and found it locked also. Those CPUZ validations are one of the reasons we tested them. Maybe W3580 being mis identified? IDK but we're finding no dual CPU Xeons unlocked. (except of course the Skulltrail lga771 QX9775). Whether it's fake or not I can't say. Someone may have found a way to unlock them but they're not unlocked as is. I can't find any identifiable user who says they've run these unlocked. Maybe the CPUID is being spoofed.

_haru

Mar 24, 2018
Perth, Australia
Unclewebb the developer of Throttlestop tested an W5580 and found it locked and another user totalfreq tested a W5590 ES and found it locked also. Those CPUZ validations are one of the reasons we tested them. Maybe W3580 being mis identified? IDK but we're finding no dual CPU Xeons unlocked. (except of course the Skulltrail lga771 QX9775). Whether it's fake or not I can't say. Someone may have found a way to unlock them but they're not unlocked as is. I can't find any identifiable user who says they've run these unlocked. Maybe the CPUID is being spoofed.
QX9775 isn't a xeon, it's a core 2 extreme.

I presume this is the cpuz validation we are talking about? Intel Xeon W5580 @ 5612.23 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR

Cpuz can sometimes misidentify a chip in the "name" section, but the "specification" part is from the chip and the board's bios. so the chip is most definitely a w5580, but i think the validation is glitched. there have been glitched validations like this before (Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 @ 8943.13 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR) but i haven't yet seen one that misreports the multi.

Retrorockit

Mar 22, 2018
QX9775 may not be "called" a Xeon but it is the only unlocked Dual CPU processor. It's LGA771 which is a dual CPU Xeon platform.
It's an unlocked X5482
List of LGA 771 & 775 CPUs + Current Prices
A couple people have tried the W5580/90 and found them to be locked including an ES.
What's going on at CPUZ IDK, but those suspicious validations always seem to be the fastest overclocks there, and the only one with a raised multiplier. 5.61GHz on 1.216V. is qestionable also. But I think I know how that's done.
I'm the ome who suggested putting it on the list based in part on that validation. Testing has shown otherwise.

Last edited:

Retrorockit

Mar 22, 2018
Thanks for that.
Here's another unlocked phantom CPU @ CPUZ
X5687 running 56x133
Intel Xeon @ 7482.97 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR
So I've given up on using them as a reference for this purpose. IDK if someone can unlock these, or if they just spoof CPUZ.
And again a superclock with normal Voltage.
They all seem to be on ASUS P6T motherboards. ??????

Last edited:

_haru

Mar 24, 2018
Perth, Australia
Thanks for that.
Here's another unlocked phantom CPU @ CPUZ
X5687 running 56x133
Intel Xeon @ 7482.97 MHz - CPU-Z VALIDATOR
So I've given up on using them as a reference for this purpose. IDK if someone can unlock these, or if they just spoof CPUZ.
And again a superclock with normal Voltage.
They all seem to be on ASUS P6T motherboards. ??????
Look at the voltage - there is no way in hell that chip is 7.5ghz at 1.25v.

Retrorockit

Mar 22, 2018
That's what I'm saying. CPUZ is useless for confirming unlocked CPUs. It seems to be ASUS P6T motherboards are involved in this stunt.
But there IS a voltage hardmod that spoofs the V.sense pin on the VRM controller and the MB can't tell what the Voltage actually is.
But these are always the fastest one there. So I think they're bogus. Having the worlds only unlocked CPU of that type, and it just happens to be the best overclocker too? Nobody's that lucky, or that good.

BlackArchon

Jun 23, 2016
I remember reading somewhere that CPU-Z shows the processor's current VID instead of the actual voltage if it can't access or don't support the voltage sensor. This would at least explain the voltage displays of the CPU-Z validations.

bsmith

Jul 13, 2018
I have unintentionally got myself into a state where CPU-Z misreported during BCLK overclocking. Of course I did not submit the results... This seemed to me to be a bug in the application, but I no longer trust it completely.

Last edited:
Reactions: RageBone

wellen1981

Nov 21, 2018
Hi all, just wanted to post with some thoughts, findings, and the odd question...

My thoughts
I think a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that even if users grab a Xeon with an unlocked multi, it can sometimes be simply their method of testing that leads them to an incorrect conclusion - an example of this is Intel XTU software - certain versions of XTU do not allow certain unlocked Xeons to show as overclockable.
Regarding people finding screenshots eg CPU-Z of certain Xeons with what appears to be higher than stock multis, I would say to avoid this thread ending up with lots of incorrect assumptions it would be best if users who have personal experience with each Xeon multi overclocked are used for adding Xeons to this threads first post.
Eg if someone owns the Xeon and has actually overclocked it past turbo using the multi increase - then it is safe for the chip to be in this threads list.

My findings
I have experience with LGA1366 Xeon W3680 and HP Z400 Workstation (Version 2). I can use Intel XTU to increase the multi but there are a few versions of XTU that dont work and give the impression that the CPU is locked - therefore people need to be cautious when testing and make sure they try various different versions of Intel XTU to be sure of their own findings.

My questions
I am under the impression that LGA1366 Intel Xeon X5680 and X5690 are locked multiplier but does anyone here have evidence that proves otherwise? Eg has anyone managed to use Intel XTU to increase the multiplier past turbo?

Thanks all for reading and I was posting about Z400 and W3680 on overclockers in case you wondered.

Cheers

Reactions: _haru

Retrorockit

Mar 22, 2018
We've been using Throttlestop to overclock these, so the XTU issue isn't the problem, and all the 2 QPI 5500, and 5600 Xeons are coming up locked. W or X or even ES series.
In LGA 1366 all the ones coming up unlocked have an unlocked equvalent like the i7-875X, i7-980X,i7-990X etc.
The only dual CPU LGA1366 overclocks I've seen are on the unlocked EVGA Classified SR2 motherboard.
The other thing we're finding is that the dual CPU motherboards don't support the unlocked ( or any) single CPU chips even in single CPU configuration. They're 5500/5600 series Xeons only.

Milli

Apr 5, 2019
So if I understand correctly, the W3670 isn't unlocked even though it's the same core?