XEON W-1370P WORKSTATION / X12SCA-5F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

guho

Jun 22, 2018
If I buy a XEON W-1370P CPU now along with a mobo Supermicro X12SCA-5F, it will cost me about $900. How much will the Alder Lake W-1400 Xeons cost, and when will they be available (desktop Alder Lake CPU just became available of course)? I like the little/big core concept of Alder Lake but am also concerned about compatibility problems with older software. Should I wait or take the plunge now? Looking to replace an x11sae with E3-1275v5. ECC DRAM memory and manageability (AMT/IPMI) are requirements.

Thanks

Last edited:

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
I am personally more concerned with new unknown CPU bugs of Alder Lake. Especially now that this is also a new concept. Read How I found a bug in Intel Skylake processors (2017) | Hacker News for some chills.

Going from memory, Alder Lake Xeons and W-680/685 chipsets are 1 year out i.e. I expect them to be available in fall 2022. Back in the C236 days it took Linux then a full year to fully support and identify and work around quirks in the chipset. On Windows, no less time. I guess I would think about a system in summer of 2023.

My 2 cents, take the plunge.

Reactions: guho

KarelG

Jan 29, 2020
Reactions: guho