Xeon Silver Build. Component Sourcing and Cooling Advice

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BryceRocky

Oct 16, 2017
Hi All,

I'm planning to build a new ESXi home server running dual Xeon Silver 4110 with a SuperMicro X11DPi-N. The motherboard I can get locally at central computers for $499 while the processors run $549. For RAM, my local used server surplus store selling 8GB ECC 2400 MHz for $80/stick. These seem to be decent prices on the parts from what I've seen online, however I was wondering if anyone here has found better deals from reputable/reliable sources (other than going the QS/ES route).

Also, I see that supermicro sells passive variants of the heatsink. Is this the same as previous generations where these are for special applications with air tunnels?

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hi All,

I'm planning to build a new ESXi home server running dual Xeon Silver 4110 with a SuperMicro X11DPi-N. The motherboard I can get locally at central computers for $499 while the processors run $549. For RAM, my local used server surplus store selling 8GB ECC 2400 MHz for $80/stick. These seem to be decent prices on the parts from what I've seen online, however I was wondering if anyone here has found better deals from reputable/reliable sources (other than going the QS/ES route).

Also, I see that supermicro sells passive variants of the heatsink. Is this the same as previous generations where these are for special applications with air tunnels?

Thanks in advance!
Be careful with ES this generation.

8GB is harder. I believe there is a lot more 16GB/ 32GB inventory around. Double check HCL but you are likely OK. Central computers = bay area? If you get stuck, I can look around my RAM parts bin.

On the passive, yes, they are the same idea this generation. What size server are you going?

If you can fit a 3U, these are (much) bigger and quieter Dynatron B11 Intel Skylake Socket FCLGA3647 Narrow ILM 3U Active CPU Cooler PWM | eBay

The pain for the Dynatron 2U and 3U heatsinks is the fin spacing around the screws. You need a long Torx bit to get through the heatsink to the nut. You cannot use a long screwdriver with a short interchangeable bit as there is not enough room in the heatsink fan. Supermicro heatsinks have a larger opening so you can use shorter bits and drivers on them. If you are around, happy to help with a loaner. If not https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1T5KRW/ is a lifesaver, especially on the 3U Dynatron.

If you are looking for a 2U, I may have an extra Dynatron.

BryceRocky

Oct 16, 2017
Thanks Patrick! Yup SF Bay area - South Bay here. Will definitely let you know if I get stuck on parts. I was thinking 3u/4u since I'm not space constrained and don't want to deal with risers. Will most likely put this in one of those startech adjustable rack carts.

Have you dealt with superbiiz before? They seem to be an auth super micro dealer and are cheaper on the CPU and Mobo. Plus they also are local, just no storefront). Also, any preferred seller for 16/32g ram sticks? I was quoting Unix Surplus prices for the 8g and I think they wanted something like $170 for used 16g. Thanks a bunch again

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've had good luck with SuperBiiz. However I've also had them change their mind after quoting me a part and decide not to sell it to me because SM doesn't allow it to be sold "out of a full system". They're often 5-10$ cheaper on motherboards or CPUs than others too, but in CA we pay tax :( on their sales.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Have you dealt with superbiiz before? They seem to be an auth super micro dealer and are cheaper on the CPU and Mobo. Plus they also are local, just no storefront). Also, any preferred seller for 16/32g ram sticks? I was quoting Unix Surplus prices for the 8g and I think they wanted something like $170 for used 16g. Thanks a bunch again
SuperBiiz is part of a larger reseller group from what I understand. Certainly a well-known reseller. They should have 32GB

I would be happy to do 16GB used DDR4-2400 that will work in that board at $160 each no sales tax if you cannot find what you need. Probably can find some extras if needed (Mountain View here.)

@Rand__ compatibility is not like what we saw in the E5 generations.

Last edited: