XEON Purchasing / Power consumption question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
I'm one of those people that buys thrice, thinks once. I have so much wasted gear sitting on the shelf and I've promised myself that I'll be smarter going forward. With that in mind, I'm hoping that STH can help me:

I have a bunch of Dell v610s, 410s, 710s all sitting on the shelf unused.
I have ONE 710 that is actually USED running 2012 R2 data center for all of my day-to-day homelab stuff which actually doesn't require much in the way of ram or processing. BUT.. I always like to have too much rather than too little just in case.

Currently the server has 2x X5570 processors in it and uses... ~20% CPU at max. These are 95TDP processors and I pay $0.08 / KwH (Canadian) for electricity. Would I actually be saving any money over the next few years by buying 2x L5640 processors @ $225 CDN. I know that these processors use less than 1/2 the TDP but, considering my current processors are basically unladen, will I actually be seeing the benefit to warrant the outlay of $225?

That brings me on to my second question which is a file server that runs a single X5640 processor NappIT installation. Should I be replacing it with an L5630? They're dirt cheap at about $50 shipped to my door or should I just leave it as is as well?

Thanks for reading and for any advice.

If anyone in the Calgary area needs random goodies for cheap let me know :)

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
On the first.. would take you ages to recoup a $225 outlay. Assuming you save 50W, that comes out to 438 kWh/year, which is $35 CDN.

On the second.. what's your upgrade time table? Assuming 20 W saved, that's 21$/year.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I'm in Winnipeg and I also appear to buy at least 3 times before I actually figure out what I want. The trick is to buy at a very good price and sell it as soon as you figure out you don't need it rather than letting it pile up. The crap you can sell/buy on flea-bay is almost unimaginable. If you don't let the depreciation bite you then generally you only lose the price of the shipping and occasionally you break even.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I just "upgraded" 2 X5570's with 2 L5630's. The total cost $26 so I figure payback will be quick since my FreeNAS box runs 24/7.

Reactions: Jeggs101

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
Thanks to all who responded. I just needed another voice of reason as the little guy on my shoulder kept screaming "C'mon, just do it already" :)