Xeon Phi /x200 /Knights Landing - Trash or Treasure ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
First off, forgive me for being uninformed, BUT....

With a now constant stream of LGA3647 Xeon Phi Knights Landing chips, specifically the 7250 showing up in the used marketplace for sub-$100, has anyone been brave enough to sacrifice a run-of-the-mill LGA3647 OEM/Retail board for testing ?
xeonphi7250.jpg

Last edited:

fp64

Jun 29, 2019
The main problem with these cards is the hidden cost. Although potentially very useful for scientific computations (avx 512 and lots of cores), it is necessary to buy the intel compiler suite. forget it. in contrast, amd gpus are a superb solution right now.

NathanM3

Dec 4, 2016
The main problem with these cards is the hidden cost. Although potentially very useful for scientific computations (avx 512 and lots of cores), it is necessary to buy the intel compiler suite. forget it. in contrast, amd gpus are a superb solution right now.
Knights Landing is a socketed CPU, not a PCIe card like previous versions of Phi. I don't think it need the Intel Compiler Suite either.

Allan74

May 15, 2019
To add to my original post, I was considering something like the CPU in question for a virtualize-everything home server...of sorts.
I am simply wondering if anyone has tried one in an LGA3647 motherboard.

111alan

Mar 11, 2019
Haerbing Institution of Technology
As long as you can find a board it's worthy, if you use AVX-512 it's even better than EPYC2-7702 in int/FP performance. And yes it can boot windows and linux directly and compatible with almost any software on them.

That is, if you can find a motherboard. It's not compatible with normal Skylake-SP boards.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
for a virtualize-everything home server
Using these for anything else than number-crunching, with code optimized specifically for this architecture, is a terrible idea.
Just get a regular used Xeon at a similar price point, and skip the disappointment.

Reactions: bayleyw

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
Even for number-crunching they are pretty disappointing, as far as I know outside of dense matrix operations in programs that link against MKL, there are no off-the-shelf packages with Phi accelerator support. The Phi will boot Linux, but existing, non-optimized binaries perform terribly on it.

Nabladel

Jan 27, 2017
Its pretty hard to find compatible motherboards for these (socket versions). From my experience even simple tasks such as updating packages in linux is slow...

edge

Apr 22, 2013
Linux is dropping MIC support from the kernel. PHI is deader than a budgy nailed to its perch.