Xeon Phi 31S1P for <$200

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Not sure where to post this, good deal but also board related. Feel free to move post.

I thought I saw someone post an eBay link to these or something similar. Intel is selling new ones for cheap. Trying to decide if I want some. Comes with free Intel compiler license too (6 months).

Want to juice up your desktop? Xeon Phi cards are just $200 | ITworld

Special Promotion for Developers: Intel® Xeon Phi™ Coprocessor 31S1P | Intel® Developer Zone

Now to think of how to use it and where to install it.

Note each vendor has different prices. Advanced clustering is at $150. Colfax gets down to $125 in bulk. Higher start for 1 off.

Reactions: iGene and Chuntzu

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
One thing to note with these is that you need to be able to deal with the 270w of heat that they are putting out so make sure that you have some good cooling/airflow in your case

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Yep, passively cooled only. I've got some HPC systems that could take these, designed for GPUs that we didn't order yet. This is a lot cheaper than GPUs but haven't played much with them. They are also double width so can't shove in my test C6100s :).

At 90% off, hard to pass by.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
And btw I am tagging @dba for this one. For what his company does, buying a bunch of these might be awesome.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I agree. Looks like time to move to the deals board?

I'm doing 2 for personal, have to check in with researchers and what power and gear we have...

Sadly I still have ATI cards to shove in, hopefully this end up sitting on my shelf.

sean

Sep 26, 2013
CT
Everyone I know that has used them has remarked on how awful they are. Single-thread performance is obviously bad, but it requires unrealistic conditions to get good scaling. People were excited about them until they were released and now everyone is either back to GPUs or waiting for KNL.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Would be cool if these could be used to offload ip routing and firewalling in linux.
Granted, with xeon phi's this cheap. Somebody might actually do it.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
And btw I am tagging @dba for this one. For what his company does, buying a bunch of these might be awesome.
Thanks Patrick! At that price, especially the ten pack, it's a steal for that much horsepower. That said, we're already coded for GPUs and I suspect that the coding effort required to migrate to Xeon Phi would exceed the cost savings. And of course if I do get hooked, I'll need another few dozen of them at the retail price.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks Patrick! At that price, especially the ten pack, it's a steal for that much horsepower. That said, we're already coded for GPUs and I suspect that the coding effort required to migrate to Xeon Phi would exceed the cost savings. And of course if I do get hooked, I'll need another few dozen of them at the retail price.
I figured you would do as much. You have an application that works well with this type of compute.

With 10+ they are only $125 :)

sean

Sep 26, 2013
CT
It's double precision. Supercomputing is this week so a new list will be out soon if it isn't already.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I picked up my two from Colfax. They are about a mile away just behind the new LinkedIn campus.

In the box there were two cards and they gave me brackets too. I have no idea how to get the Intel compiler which is a bummer. I will mail for the book too.