Xeon E5 V4 Expiration Date / Use Deadline: 2020/06/30

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chieften

Sep 20, 2018
I found this interesting, I grabbed the opportunity to buy 3 xeon e5 v4 with a steep discount from amazon.co.jp itself, not through a seller. When they arrived, in amazon packaging, very well packaged, I realized that one had been opened.

I assume a heatgun was used on the serial number / manufacturing information sticker on opening of the box. It was not torn and somehow in excellent overall condition, despite being opened; this sticker covers the top and over the side of the box, covering the opening. the serial number on this sticker matched the CPU, and one of the other two CPUS were manufactured in the same batch as the opened box, each with matching serial numbers. I tried to replicate the delicacy it would take to open the sticker on another box without tearing or disfiguring it, I could not.

However, the most odd thing about these 'new' cpus, despite one being opened but sold as brand new, and despite getting them for roughly 50% off retail, was that the one opened box had a sticker put on the top of the Xeon, which was visible through the window on the box's packaging. This sticker was on the lid of the xeon, not on the plastic protector the CPU sits in.

The sticker was in japanese, it said: "使用期限 2020/6/30" This translates as expiration date, but more accurately means "use limit" or "use deadline." Effectively, this open CPU was informing me that it is no good to use after June 30, 2020.

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Maybe it's the "end of life" date for these cpus; intel will not ship "new" v4 chips after that date.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
I think it's effectively a "commercial end of life"

Out of subect: In despite that theses CPU are now a n-3 generation , i found theses always costly even in used condition.
The difference in price between E5-V3 and E5-V4 is so large.... i hope to see soon a price reduction for this generation :)

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I'm really hoping that epyc causes a price drop on used intel gear, with the consolidation we saw possible in patrick's last review the market should flood soon.

chieften

Sep 20, 2018
wiredzone.com is now listing xeon e5 v4 SKUs as "discontinued"

Last edited: