Xeon E5-1680 v2: force maximum turbo multiplier

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlackArchon

Jun 23, 2016
Here I have a Xeon E5-1680 v2 on an Asrock Rack EPC602D8A mainboard. This Xeon has an open CPU frequency multiplier, so I set an all core turbo multiplier of 40. Once Windows is booted, I really have 4000 MHz on all cores. But as soon as I start Prim95 28.10 with small FFTs, the frequency goes back to 3700 MHz and the power consumption is nailed at the CPU's default value of 130 watts. All cores have temperatures in the sixties, so this shouldn't be a problem.
Am I interpreting this correctly that some CPU power management feature is doing this?

In BIOS, I have set "Power Technology: Custom" and "Energy Performance: Performance" - I hoped this would enable the CPU to go beyond its 130 W power specification, but obviously I'm wrong.

Is there something I can do to enable the CPU to really run with more than 3700 MHz?

BlackArchon

Jun 23, 2016
I could be wrong but perhaps the xeons have the thermal limit baked in as a hard max. What are you windows power settings set to?
I tried both balanced and highest performance - the result is the same, not a single watt more than 130 W for the CPU.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Being an enterprise cpu, it is hard coded to not exceed the rated thermal maximum for reliability.
Consumer grade CPUs are better for overclocking at the expense of reliability and stability.

Reactions: Patriot